Ruddy's Glass Still

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Ruddy's Glass Still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:05 pm

Good luck Bryan

You are definitely an ideas man, if it does not work at least you will be able to dig a hole. Hopefully it won’t fill with water :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:43 pm

If it fills with water , he can fill it in and plant cabbage, they love water :teasing-neener:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:16 am

G'Day Guy's,

Well due to working I didn't do any macerations :angry-banghead: so as my Quince ferment is finally done time do a few strip runs then a spirit run this arvo using the glass still.

So going a litre at a time it may take 3 or 4 runs to get enough low wines for the spirit run so this will be a good road test for this new setup :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now as far as water goes whats the bet Wellsy put his pump on only to find he forgot to connect the hoses and is trying to shift the blame :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still also a 1-1/2" pot still and bubbler build happening

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:37 am

Just gotta throw in a pic guy's :laughing-rolling:

new setup.jpg

So looks like a day stripping while shaking my stubbie of dutch lager to keep a head :laughing-rolling: as it just starting to get moreish :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still also a 1-1/2" pot still and bubbler build happening

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:44 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well i got my vac 2000 out to clean out that crap in my boiler then looked over to see a corn/barely run I did with angel yeast and yes after aging white at 80% + it still tastes off so for a laugh threw just under a litre into the round flask with a bit of water added and see if I can refine this angel yeast stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft: as for on it's own white dog it just doesn't cut the mustard :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So lets see if this 40% myth is right :laughing-rolling: but as it has been quoted on this forum I am out of this world :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

More Saturday fun and if it goes pear shaped who cares as it's just too easy to go buy more gear and do it again :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 pm

I have to put in a note here as I am vacuum distilling I can go a higher ABV but in no circumstances go above 40% in your boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:03 pm

Well just had a taste and turned off the still and as far as I am concerned this angel yeast can go the chooks and i won't be using it again. honestly it was like trying to polish a turd so it was a fruitless exercise and this whole batch can be saved for a sac run in the future.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Have you soured your mash before fermentation yet? I reakon
Its the ducks nuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:06 pm

The oak seemed to remove the funkiness for me mate. That is what prompted me to do a few big runs before things got too hot.
Wellsy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Previous

Return to Pot Stills