The beginning of something beautiful.

Pot still design and discussion

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Used Olive barrels ,Can usually pick them up for around $30 bucks but its Fucken hard to get the smell out of them :laughing-rolling:

Anyone got any tips on this ?

Yes, bleach, nappy-san, boiling water and air+time. Plus the more washes you put through it the more it will smell like the last thing in it.

My 200L pickle barrel reeked of vinegar but after 2 huge apricot washes it now smells like apricots:)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: The beginning of something beautiful.

Postby Distillnation » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 pm

For large containers, someone mentioned paramount browns in another thread. That's a place in SA, bit of a drive just for that but worth checking it out if you're going down that way.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Hmm writers writer's block :angry-banghead:

Well this will probly be the final installment of The beginning of something beautiful :happy-partydance:
The still is built and working well. All I have got left to do is show the last of the pics that I have taken and talk some more bull shit.

One funny thing that did happen today that could have been very bad was. While doing a jar change my dog got a gut fall of heads and nocked the dam this over :violence-stickwhack: . He went stupid for about 20 minets after and then passed out for about 2 hours and my dog dont sleep during the day. Thought I had killed him turns out he just aint a rum drinker. I gess he will be sticking to his beer from now on. :laughing-rolling:
IMAG0231.jpg

One thing I realy got to say and that is. A big thanks to the forum and its members. With out this place to come to to ask questions look at other people's builds my build probly would not have happen as fast as it would have. I look forward to getting to know the members on the forum and seeing what every one will be building in the future. I as I have said in one of my earlier posts I am hooked. It took one night :D. So my plan at this stage is to run the pot for the next few months get to know what I am doing try a few diffrent recipes see what I like best. Then plan to build ether a bubbler or a big fuck off bokka.

:text-thankyoublue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImcvtJzIK8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:29 pm

Distillnation wrote:For large containers, someone mentioned paramount browns in another thread. That's a place in SA, bit of a drive just for that but worth checking it out if you're going down that way.

Yep I know the place grate place to shop thanks for the tip.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby Camikaze » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 am

Nice work mate, I know the feeling well. It has you by the short n' curlys now.. :))

Hope your dog ain't too hungover. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby vqstatesman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Distillnation wrote:For large containers, someone mentioned paramount browns in another thread. That's a place in SA, bit of a drive just for that but worth checking it out if you're going down that way.

I was there just last week purchasing some gardening tools... They still stock the huge ass pickle barrels, was thinking of using one was wasn't sure if it was safe (I'm still a hard core newbie)
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 pm

vqstatesman wrote:

I was there just last week purchasing some gardening tools... They still stock the huge ass pickle barrels, was thinking of using one was wasn't sure if it was safe (I'm still a hard core newbie)

I have one and it's awesome. Loads of cleaning required. Get heaps of home brand nappisan and hot water. Rinse soak dry repeat.

I plan on adding a tap at the bottom and I punched a hole in the lid and dropped an old airlock in. Works just like a fermenter except huger!

For $22 buck you can't go wrong.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Previous

Return to Pot Stills