My first still ever

Pot still design and discussion

My first still ever

Postby Tipzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

Oh I just bought an airstill a short while ago. And made a wash (mash?) about a week ago with triple distille and turbo carbon and such and just ran my first cycle. And it turned out great, totally without off tastes and smells just totally flavourfree. I am so happy my first was a success. :happy-partydance:
Tipzy

equipment: Airstill

Re: My first still ever

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:18 am

Good stuff. :clap: Now head over to the tried and proven section and smash into some of those recipes.

You'll be done with turbo gear forever!! :banana-linedance:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Tipzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Camikaze wrote:Good stuff. :clap: Now head over to the tried and proven section and smash into some of those recipes.

You'll be done with turbo gear forever!! :banana-linedance:

Looks very interesting, I am sure I will try some. :-B
Tipzy

equipment: Airstill

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:06 pm

I thoroughly recommend the wheat germ recipe (DWWG). :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you like vodka, you'll love it. ;-)
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby drew_serco » Fri May 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi there, I bought an air still recently, used the directions as described, made the mash with the carbon in it and used the clearing solution at end. I do not have the carbon
filter though, do I need to carbon filter the end product? with the air still do I need to discard any part of the distilled alcohol as discussed on this forum? I am
a nube so any info would help. Also, as it only does 4L at a time can I still make a 35L batch to run through it 4L at a time? Thanks mate. Drew ^:)^
drew_serco

equipment: Still Spirits air still

Postby mikejwoodnz » Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm

1. I need to carbon filter the end product? - no

2. do I need to discard any part of the distilled alcohol as discussed on this forum? optional

3. 4L at a time can I still make a 35L batch to run through it 4L at a time? yes the wash will keep ok

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
mikejwoodnz

equipment: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey mate, sorry but I'll respectfully disagree with number 2. Taking cuts is essential to a quality product take a look at kiwis cuts thread in the newbie's corner. You'll need to take small cuts though as there won't be much alcohol in 4L.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

My first still ever

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 pm

mikejwoodnz wrote:2. do I need to discard any part of the distilled alcohol as discussed on this forum? optional

NOT OPTIONAL!!!!! Any serious stiller will quickly tell you they will happily turf 80% of a run if they felt it improved the drinking stock.

You MUST turf fores, they go on the ground and you set them on fire and thank the gods of alcohol.

You can put your heads and tails into a feints run but it is not optional to keep all you make.

Once you do this a few times you will find it VERY hard to go back to commercial spirits because all you can taste is how greedy they were with bottling rubbish they should have turfed.

They have to make a profit...we do not.

Cut, and cut harsh.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby mikejwoodnz » Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 pm

We're talking a sugar wash charged Airstill - you show me the foreshots and I'll cheerfully drink them. Strip, treat with baking soda, run again - no foreshots, no heads, not tails, no carbon - no bullshit. :laughing-rolling:
mikejwoodnz

equipment: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby Distillnation » Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 am

I wouldn't say there are no fores/heads/tails.

I stripped a 5L UJSM in an airstill a week ago and the first cut I took smelt strong of fores, which lead into heads, and then hearts.towards the end of the run the bad smell of tails came out. I took cuts in 50mL increments and I could really notice a difference in taste and smell as the run went on.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby Brendan » Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 am

mikejwoodnz wrote:We're talking a sugar wash charged Airstill - you show me the foreshots and I'll cheerfully drink them. Strip, treat with baking soda, run again - no foreshots, no heads, not tails, no carbon - no bullshit. :laughing-rolling:

Sure a sugar wash is a lot cleaner than a whisky wort or molasses rum wash...but I don't believe there is ever " no foreshots, no heads, not tails"...part of the production of ethanol is that all these compounds are created by the yeast...it's not an option depending on the food you give them...

I question...and I mean this seriously and respectfully...that maybe you haven't made the quality of spirits that is possible and that most of us strive for, and that what you collect (being the combination of what we would differentiate as foreshots, heads, hearts, and tails), is what you think a fine spirit should taste like? :wtf:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby mikejwoodnz » Sat May 11, 2013 8:49 am

Distillnation wrote:I wouldn't say there are no fores/heads/tails.

I stripped a 5L UJSM in an airstill a week ago and the first cut I took smelt strong of fores, which lead into heads, and then hearts.towards the end of the run the bad smell of tails came out. I took cuts in 50mL increments and I could really notice a difference in taste and smell as the run went on.

So you stripped a "5L UJSM: in a 4 litre Airstill - I would suggest you are not only making shit but you are also talking shit :)) If I made 50ml cuts I would drink 1/2 of it in one shot tasting them :liar:
mikejwoodnz

Postby blond.chap » Sat May 11, 2013 9:09 am

Fair enough mate, whatever makes you happy.

Please not however that the members of this forum recommend making cuts.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Distillnation » Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 am

mikejwoodnz wrote:So you stripped a "5L UJSM: in a 4 litre Airstill - I would suggest you are not only making shit but you are also talking shit :)) If I made 50ml cuts I would drink 1/2 of it in one shot tasting them :liar:

I made a 5L UJSM wash and after siphoning off the wash from.the corn it came out to roughly 4L, perfect for the air still. So yeah, I did strip a 5L UJSM in a 4L air still.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby JayD » Sat May 11, 2013 9:42 am

By applying a common sense to some posts you realise that it might be a typo, or a little bit of key information is missing like in this case. Think twice post once is a good motto to have. moving on gents. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby MacStill » Sat May 11, 2013 10:20 am

Wait until crow sees these post in his favourite section of the forums, I bet he'll be overjoyed :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Pot Stills