The beginning of something beautiful.

Pot still design and discussion

Re: The beginning of something beautiful.

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 am

I wouldn't bother welding the kegs together mate. Too much of a fuck-around.

If it were me, I would hit up the scrappies for a metre of 2". It'll cost bugger all either in staino or copper. Just give it a citric acid bath beforehand. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Camikaze wrote:I wouldn't bother welding the kegs together mate. Too much of a fuck-around.

If it were me, I would hit up the scrappies for a metre of 2". It'll cost bugger all either in staino or copper. Just give it a citric acid bath beforehand. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have tryed buying from our scrappie in port pirie befor they wont do it. So what ever i do i will have to buy new 2 inch if that is what I am going to do. Welding the kegs together is prity ezy mate not much to it. A i can get a mate to tig it for me as I dont keep gas any more or I just stick weld them with some SS rods probly still got some out the back.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Whats a metre of new 2" worth?

You could just spring for a 'leccy element straight up and use what you have already... :think:

If you're gonna tig those kegs, back-flush them with argon otherwise the welds will corrode. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Stick 'em if you like, it'll work good.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Camikaze wrote:Whats a metre of new 2" worth?

You could just spring for a 'leccy element straight up and use what you have already... :think:

If you're gonna tig those kegs, back-flush them with argon otherwise the welds will corrode. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Stick 'em if you like, it'll work good.

Yeah not to hard I am a welder.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Cool. ;-)
Camikaze

Postby Distillnation » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:53 pm

DrunkASAskunk wrote:Hey mate we probly walked pass each other. I took a look at the price of the bernzomatic solder and had a few choice words come in to my mined. So I went and had a talk to the lads down in the main street but they cant get there hands on the aqua safe solder so I am going to order some from Adelaide in a few days time. Im hoping someone I know might be going down to town over the week end if not then I will be ordering some on thursday if you like I can get an extra roll of aqua safe solder for you. Let me know and I will get back to you on the cost.

Yeah, I know what you mean!

If you were able to get another roll for me that would be great because the local stores definitely won't be getting my money any time soon.

Where are you getting your copper parts from?
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Distillnation wrote:
DrunkASAskunk wrote:Hey mate we probly walked pass each other. I took a look at the price of the bernzomatic solder and had a few choice words come in to my mined. So I went and had a talk to the lads down in the main street but they cant get there hands on the aqua safe solder so I am going to order some from Adelaide in a few days time. Im hoping someone I know might be going down to town over the week end if not then I will be ordering some on thursday if you like I can get an extra roll of aqua safe solder for you. Let me know and I will get back to you on the cost.

Yeah, I know what you mean!

If you were able to get another roll for me that would be great because the local stores definitely won't be getting my money any time soon.

Where are you getting your copper parts from?

Why are you guys worried about a bit of lead in your still, you live in Port Pirie :D

Just kidding you guys prob dont need any more lead, i have heard they have made it much better :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Distillnation » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:24 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Why are you guys worried about a bit of lead in your still, you live in Port Pirie :D

Just kidding you guys prob dont need any more lead, i have heard they have made it much better :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Haha if only it was that simple. It has gotten better but the risk is still there for infants. Supposed to be some million dollar renovation taking place to get everything up to standards though...

I went to beaumont tiles. They had a nice selection of copper fittings but not what I needed. They also had 2" copper pipe for 191 for 6m or 31/m. There's some decimal points in there but I can't remember what I wrote down.
Distillnation

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Distillnation wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:I went to beaumont tiles. ............... They also had 2" copper pipe for 191 for 6m or 31/m.......

Weird that a tile place has copper but ..fuck at that price ,who cares :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Distillnation » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm

My thoughts exactly hah. They had a better range then the two hardware stores. The only place so far that I could find that stocked any fittings over 1". They had 2" tees and bends which may just come in handy later on.

I called another place asking about 2" fittings. Went something like this:

"Hi, I was just wondering if you had any 2" copper fittings? "
"Nah I can't help you".
"okay no worries, tha.. "*beep* *beep*

That's customer service at its finest :roll:

Back on topic though, how are things going drunkASAskunk? Have you got your kegs yet?
Distillnation

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:57 am

Distillnation wrote:My thoughts exactly hah. They had a better range then the two hardware stores. The only place so far that I could find that stocked any fittings over 1". They had 2" tees and bends which may just come in handy later on.

"Nah I can't help you".

Back on topic though, how are things going drunkASAskunk? Have you got your kegs yet?

Na no kegs yet giving me the shits. Might have to get one of me mates to nick some from one of the pubs hey. All i need is a working still to bribe them with some rum.
But i would have neve thought beaumont tiles would have 2" copper and at that price. What where their copper fitting prices. I cant remeber the name of the
hardware store in the main street but i think they wanted something like 130 bucks for 1m of 2" what a rip hey.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:17 am

Ow and on a side note i have cracked the shits with the still due to not having all the parts i need to finish it so i decided to finish another project.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Distillnation » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 am

DrunkASAskunk wrote:Na no kegs yet giving me the shits. Might have to get one of me mates to nick some from one of the pubs hey. All i need is a working still to bribe them with some rum.

One of the pubs here always has kegs coming out their ass.

Once you get your still up and running I don't think you'll be needing to bribe them, they'll probably be offering stuff to you just to get more.

DrunkASAskunk wrote:But i would have neve thought beaumont tiles would have 2" copper and at that price. What where their copper fitting prices. I cant remeber the name of the
hardware store in the main street but i think they wanted something like 130 bucks for 1m of 2" what a rip hey.

I can't remember what the price of their fittings were but I don't think they were too expensive. I don't have any other place to compare to though. Worth going in and checking out though, might find something you like.

I don't think I'll bother with Better Home Supplies unless I really need to. They have a good selection, but their prices are pretty ridiculous.

DrunkASAskunk wrote:Ow and on a side note i have cracked the shits with the still due to not having all the parts i need to finish it so i decided to finish another project.

Ah well, keep us updated when you get back to it!
Distillnation

Postby Camikaze » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 am

DrunkASAskunk wrote:
Distillnation wrote:My thoughts exactly hah. They had a better range then the two hardware stores. The only place so far that I could find that stocked any fittings over 1". They had 2" tees and bends which may just come in handy later on.

"Nah I can't help you".

Na no kegs yet giving me the shits. Might have to get one of me mates to nick some from one of the pubs hey. All i need is a working still to bribe them with some rum.
But i would have neve thought beaumont tiles would have 2" copper and at that price. What where their copper fitting prices. I cant remeber the name of the

Guys, please refrain from the comments regarding the illegal procurement of kegs. This site will not endorse that sort of discussion or behaviour and any further comments regarding this will be removed. Get yourself some kegs the legit way please. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
Camikaze

Postby Distillnation » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 am

@Camikaze - I don't endorse the act of taking kegs from behind the pub without permission. There is a pub here that used to be happy to give kegs out for the cost of the rental fee of the keg. Not quite as legal as getting one from keg king or another place, but moreso than just taking one. This way the supplier is getting the money for the keg back.

But, that being said, if you can find some legal kegs cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up. They don't come by too often.
Distillnation

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 am

Camikaze wrote:
DrunkASAskunk wrote:

"Nah I can't help you".

Guys, please refrain from the comments regarding the illegal procurement of kegs. This site will not endorse that sort of discussion or behaviour and any further comments regarding this will be removed. Get yourself some kegs the legit way please. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers

My bad sorry about that i was only joking. Hey just wondering is it legit to run stills in Oz ??
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Distillnation » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 am

Taken from the ATO (Australian Taxation Office):

If you are not a licensed excise manufacturer you can buy, import, manufacture, dispose of, possess, own or sell a still without permission if:

- the still has a capacity of five litres or less, and
- it will not be used to distil alcohol.
Distillnation

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:31 pm

got some more dome today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm

not real happy with my parrot so i might make another one
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Gotta love progress aye! Looking good mate. :dance:

Make sure you hit the input end of the shottie with a flap disc so you don't smear your cuts. Get er' nice and flat.

Parrot looks pretty long to me mate. Is that sized up to your alcometer? If its too big your meter will be slowish to react to ABV changes and you'll drag your heads into the good stuff. If it fits your alc meter properly then all good mate.

Nice work.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills