pot still smearing tastes

Pot still design and discussion

puredistilling

Postby kiwimark » Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Anyone using the pot still from pure distilling? My setup seems to smear the flavour of UJSM but not sure if it's the pot still or the boiler element (2000w, 30L). Have purchased a element controller but the output is still pouring out, not dripping. I think this is the problem, would appreciate feedback if someone else has had this problem.
kiwimark

equipment: puredistilling pot still and reflux still

pot still smearing tastes

Postby kiwimark » Tue May 08, 2012 8:47 pm

anyone using the puredistilling pot still here, need some help with smearing tastes. Could be element but not sure, have controller but can't get it to drip on the spirit run.
kiwimark

Re: pot still smearing tastes

Postby bt1 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Bloke,

need you to provide more info I know typing is pain but hey it gets a result.

volume, number of cut jars, how old, airing, airing time, wash type, details on run ie volume % etc it all helps us make better judgement calls.

good news is you have the cuts so from here it can be worked on...

look forward to bit more info

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: puredistilling

Postby bt1 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:27 pm

2000w in 30 lts..go out on a limb but that fair amount of heat, in a smaller volume and you said it pouring out...

Is it controlled our just flat out...need a bit more info really..taste, volume etc but sounds a lot like a full out stripping run over powered at this stage.

let us know

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kiwimark » Tue May 08, 2012 10:02 pm

yeah it's controlled but the lowest I can set the controller it still pours out, very strong UJSM. I can slow the pour but not change it to a drip. I'm thinking maybe mix with neutral to dilute or maybe even buy smaler element or better controller. Why can't they just sell boilers with a controller inbuilt???? :angry-banghead:
kiwimark

Postby audistiller » Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 pm

I really don't know, maybe BT1 is more on the money, but I thought I would throw this out there just in case. Could it be an issue with packing in the column, I remember Andy having a problem where he had too much or not enough flow, and he found it was the packing in the column, he doesn't have the same Still, but the theory is the same, just a thought.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby kiwimark » Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 pm

lol ok will give it all. Been doing UJSM for quite some time now and have 2 fermenters going at the same time. My gravities of wash are normal depending on sugar used ofc 1070-990 around 10%. The wash also smells and tastes ok, no infection. Normally go to about 5-6 gen on the UJSM but the taste never changes, always a strong corn taste. Even tried with barley and still that same after taste. Have purchased a controller to slow the output but it looks like i'm always doing a stripping run as I can't get it to drip. I have also tried liquid malt extract with similar story, strong after taste.I can tell cuts fine with reflux but on pot still after about 80c it starts a pouring and pretty damn fast. The abv on first run is around 60% going down from there. I strip all the way to 98 or 20% but lately i'm stopping at 95c. I think the output is my problem but the controller can't slow it enough.

2x 30L fermenters
1x 30L boiler 2000w element
Tried UJSM with 3-4kg of Barley/corn/rye with distillers yeast and normally about 7kg of sugar
kiwimark

Postby kiwimark » Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Using a pot still, so no packing. I also have a reflux and thought about using it to strip the flavour out a little. I guess if I stuff it I can just make another neutral then flavour to whisky :sad:
kiwimark

Postby audistiller » Tue May 08, 2012 10:26 pm

kiwimark wrote:Using a pot still, so no packing.

Sorry my bad, I missed that bit.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Kimbo » Tue May 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Kiwimark,
is it less corn taste your after? coz when i pot still my UJ, it pours out on a stripping run and a spirit run ;-)
The "smearing " your talking about generally refers to making cuts, and the heads getting into the hearts/ hearts into tails etc.
Failing that, how are you aging your spirit?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Wed May 09, 2012 8:48 am

kiwimark wrote:the output is still pouring out, not dripping.

From my understanding running to slow on a spirit run can be almost as bad as running to fast. From a lot of what Ive read the slow drip/ pencil lead thin stream thing is a bit of a myth. I think it could have its uses if you were trying to do (single runs).
I know 5Star pot stills his spirit runs at about 4 or 5L an hour.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby kiwimark » Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 am

I'm wondering if I distill it 3 times so abv is higher it will lose a bit of the taste. For my spirit cuts i've been removing the heads 500ml(foreshot already done on strip) and tails below 58%, so very conservative. Still the strong taste of corn persists. If I can't solve it I will mix it with neutral to dilute.
kiwimark

Postby kiwimark » Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Aging on american oak chips(the larger ones). About to purchase a 5L barrel from barelsonline in US, $55 plus postage for white american oak toasted.
kiwimark

Postby SBB » Wed May 09, 2012 12:41 pm

kiwimark wrote:Still the strong taste of corn persists.

Most people complain because they cant get enough corn flavour. Be quite a few folk out there only to happy to take what you have produced of your hands I would think.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby kiwimark » Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm

haha u say that cause you havn't tasted it. I get no change in taste from just Corn, full Barley or a even a combination of Rye included. That's the weird part, the taste never changes.
kiwimark

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 09, 2012 10:00 pm

kiwimark wrote:haha u say that cause you havn't tasted it. I get no change in taste from just Corn, full Barley or a even a combination of Rye included. That's the weird part, the taste never changes.

Then maybe its not the corn your tasting :think:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby kiwimark » Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 am

Yeah maybe, does kinda taste like corn though. Will try again this weekend and will run another strip to add to the nearly 8L of I have now. I have 5L at 60% and the other 3 is the output from a stripping run. Thinking if I can get the ABV higher the taste will not be as strong. Will post my findings on saturday.
kiwimark

Postby kiwimark » Sun May 13, 2012 11:53 am

Completed my spirit run it's bloody good. Filled the boiler with water and diluted alc to 30%. Slowed the output to a slow pour and collect to 92c or 58% ABV on my spirit run. Not sure if it was the element controller combined with higher ABV or the 3rd run. Maybe a bit of everything, gonna keep doing it this way now for the Puredistilling pot still.
kiwimark

Postby kiwimark » Mon May 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Just to add to it, my boiler stopped working and I received a replacement. Found I didnt need the motor controller anymore, it was a faulty boiler playing up all along. Now when distilling my temp stays around 90-92 for about 90mins instead of 20mins. :laughing-rolling:
kiwimark

Return to Pot Stills