T500 as a Pot Still

Pot still design and discussion

T500 as a Pot Still

Postby ginandtonic » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:45 pm

Can you use a T500 as a " pot still " by removing the packers ?
I have used the T500 ( mostly ) successfully to get my " clean " spirits, but am now trying to add some " gin " flavour.
Have been advised that the botanical basket from Still Spirits is a waste of money.
I am attempting to add flavour by "mastication / soaking " ( thats one option I guess - rather than botanical basket in the vapour path )
but clearly the flavour would be removed if the Packers were left in the " reflux" column.
Am I barking up the wrong tree ?
Kind Regards,
Craig
ginandtonic
Site Donor

equipment: Turbo 500, 2" Pot still.

Re: T500 as a Pot Still

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:59 pm

A T500 will never be the same if run in “pot still mode”
Many have tried and all have leaked for ever after .
The plastic at the top distorts and is never the same again.
And soaking botanicals is known as macerating .
Best to have a basic pot still to run macerations
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby ginandtonic » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:32 pm

Welllllllllll
Too late, cause I did it x_x
So I hope it is still working next time.
I did still have water flowing through it of course ????
hollly shiiiiiiit.
Can you give me a bit more info on what is in the image you have attached please ?
Regards,
Craig
ginandtonic
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:40 pm

Turn your column upside down and fill with water , see if it leaks
The pic is just a basic pot head on a T500 style turbo boiler
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby ginandtonic » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm

It does :oops:
Please tell me all is not lost :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
ginandtonic
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:22 pm

Unless you pull it apart and fix it , she’s going to leak alcohol vapor when you run next time
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby ginandtonic » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:41 pm

Cheers Stig,
Ill pull it apart and try to repair it.
Do you have any info on how to do this ?
Also, any suggestions on an alternative setup that I could still use the boiler with.
Kind Regards,
Craig
ginandtonic
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:14 pm

No idea how to repair , there is probably instructions around here somewhere .
I do remember somebody putting a copper cap on to fix it once and for all.
An alternative would be a 5 Star Boka with optional Pot head , will give you a better product and much more versatility
https://5stardistilling.com/shop/?s_keyword=Boka
This link will show you both items
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Carol » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:30 pm

hi ginandtonic
For general info see my thread on the FSD 2" boka - there is info on the pot head as well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12638&hilit=2+boka

I have made some really nice gin using Zmurgy Bob's gin extract (using my little air still) and Hearts from a TPW wash in the boka.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby ginandtonic » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:39 pm

Thanks Carol,
I really appreciate you taking the time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I must admit, I am a bit confussed at this satge on what to do next, and am starting to read as many forum questions as possible.
My T500 seems to be good ( at this point ) in collecting clean spirits, and alcohol is up at 90+ %,
However, I have just been advised by a "semi" commercial distiller who has also used a T500 in the past, that I should aim for around 80% to take the " stress" of the product.
but thats another story.

My issus now is how to add taste - so looks like a pot still is my best option.
Thinking I could also use the pot still for a couple of stripping runs, then the T500 to really clean it ( spirit run ), Then flavour it (still looking at options there ) then put it through the Pot still again ??
I read in your post - and you say - forget everything you know about the T500 ( re temp control with water )
Problem is, I dont know if I can :crying-blue: :crying-blue:
Im just getting my head around that !
A couple of the pot still " attachments" I am looking at that will attache to the lid of my T500 boiler, have thermometer ports, so was was thinking that these might work similar to the way I use the T500.
Thats when I am using it correctly as a Reflux column and not trying to destroy it, by using it as a pot still.
Kind Regards,
Craig :greetings-waveyellow:
ginandtonic
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:51 pm

HI Craig

I don't know anything about the T500. Andrew (the Stig) might be a better person to ask.
I have the 2" Boka and pot which work well for me.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby The Stig » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:03 pm

I really don’t think you could push a T500 reflux hard enough to get it down to 80% and it strange that a commercial distiller would say such a thing .
80% is flavour territory , not reflux .
Buying a pot still and doing stripping runs before doing a spirit run will cleanup your spirit heaps .
Did you fix the leaks ?
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:49 am

I can also definitely recommend the pot still stripping then spirit run option. That is where I started my journey and never looked back, I was not looking to make neutral however so my choice was easy.

My understanding is the way the reflux works is to have the internal sand packs cause the vapour to condense then then back into Vapour and condense some more. Each time this happens a little more water is left behind hence the high ABV. Unfortunately this process also strips the flavour.

Using that logic by stripping in a pot, you keep as much flavour as possible, then spirit run in a reflux and take out most of the flavour, then flavour the neutral and run through a pot. I would suggest spirit running in a pot and you won’t have to worry about the second spirit run

Each to there own however as that is joy of this hobby , people are free to follow whatever path they chose. Good luck and keep experimenting
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby renedox » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:04 am

ginandtonic wrote:My issus now is how to add taste - so looks like a pot still is my best option.
Thinking I could also use the pot still for a couple of stripping runs, then the T500 to really clean it ( spirit run ), Then flavour it (still looking at options there ) then put it through the Pot still again ??

Not sure what you're trying to do here, when you say "add taste" do you mean in terms of the essences you can buy or are you talking about things like grain/corn flavours from an all grain mash?

If you want to do essences and just want a really clean neutral so you can add flavours, then doing a stripping run with the T500 reflux column followed by a spirit run yields nice results. As in, charge your boiler with your wash, collect everything, run what is collected again in reflux but this time take cuts.

If you're talking about keeping (not adding) grain flavours, then go with a pot distillation. Using the same process as above but with the T500 pot still head.

If you're wanting to add or enhance flavours that are already present, then go the pot still route and add/soak/macerate whatever flavour it is you want to enhance in the distillate or your first stripping run.

If you want to add flavour to make a gin, you start with a neutral, macerate/infuse/soak your flavourings then pot distill. Use a gin/botanical basket if you want but I've always had good results with just putting stuff in the boiler.
renedox

equipment: Copperhead pot still

Copperhead reflux still

Air still

Postby ginandtonic » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:44 pm

Thanks Renedox :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yes, by adding flavour I mean macerating or gin basket or something along those lines - as appose to adding " cordials" at the end.
So Yes, I will need a form of Pot still to " keep" the flavours ( of course I will still do a Reflux run to get my clean spirit )
Just looking at options, and the Still Spirits Alembic Codenser is one ( with or without the dome ), the Alcoengine ( with or without the dome ) or looking at other alternaives that would connect to the T500 boiler - such as " Boka style units ( which I know very little about - although they more than likely work on the same principles.
???
ginandtonic
Site Donor

Postby ginandtonic » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:21 pm

Hey Stig and Wellsey,
Just saw your replies also - sorry.
Stig - dont know yet about the leak. Going to give it a run and see what happens ?
Since its only gas - but of grey tape may seal it enough ? - will see, If not, can confirm what I lack in gin making skills - more than make up for in pulling shit apart / fix / put back together skills.
Wesley - yess agree with all that.
Cheers to you both :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ginandtonic
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:36 pm

2” pot still $385
https://5stardistilling.com/product/2-pot-still/
Adapter $41
https://5stardistilling.com/product/tur ... d-adapter/
And you’ve got quality gear that can be added to rather than the over priced T500 stuff that’s smaller and less efficient
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Pot Stills