New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Pot still design and discussion

New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby ginandtonic » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:49 pm

In my last post ( T500 as a pot still ) I was after advice on a pot still.
I decided to go with a 2" pot still from 5 Star, and a few adaptors to attach it to my "T500" boiler.
Service, delivery and quality I am extremely happy with, and I know I made the right decision, because obviously, this gear can all be added to and used in different configurations.
So I ran my fist stripping run with 25 litres TPW ( which I was a bit suss on, because the Hydrometer was at about 1.10 )
The wash was completely clear, smelt " winey ' so figured there was alchol there to be extruded !
Using the Parrot was a great guide ( first time with that also ) , because I'm not sure what other guides there are to use on a stripping run ?
And the only thing I had to go off was the alchol content as shown by the Parot, and when to stop the run.
Hence a question or 2 to follow.
The Boiler was run at full power, and the flow of water did not seem to affect the flow of the Alchol, or the alchol strength %, that I could see ?
Can somebody advise on this please ? does it matter ? shall I run it so the water coming out is coolish / warmish / bloody hot ????
Alchol started at about 70%, then ran for much of the run at 60%, I shut down at approx 25%
Overall alchol content reading was 50%.
So I have another stripping run coming up in a few days, and will do the same thing if not advised otherwise.
Thanks again Stig !!!!
Think I'll be back in the 5 star store before long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And thanks to all the other crew, who are more than happy to share their knowledge with others.
Regards
G&T
:text-thankyoublue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ginandtonic
Site Donor

equipment: Turbo 500, 2" Pot still.

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Your more than welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I’m glad you’re happy with the gear .
You know where I am if you need me :music-deathmetal:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:47 pm

Delete the last photo. Shows your name and address and phone number
Last edited by BigRig on Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby BigRig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:57 pm

ginandtonic wrote:In my last post ( T500 as a pot still ) I was after advice on a pot still.
I decided to go with a 2" pot still from 5 Star, and a few adaptors to attach it to my "T500" boiler.
Service, delivery and quality I am extremely happy with, and I know I made the right decision, because obviously, this gear can all be added to and used in different configurations.
So I ran my fist stripping run with 25 litres TPW ( which I was a bit suss on, because the Hydrometer was at about 1.10 )
The wash was completely clear, smelt " winey ' so figured there was alchol there to be extruded !
Using the Parrot was a great guide ( first time with that also ) , because I'm not sure what other guides there are to use on a stripping run ?
And the only thing I had to go off was the alchol content as shown by the Parot, and when to stop the run.
Hence a question or 2 to follow.
The Boiler was run at full power, and the flow of water did not seem to affect the flow of the Alchol, or the alchol strength %, that I could see ?
Can somebody advise on this please ? does it matter ? shall I run it so the water coming out is coolish / warmish / bloody hot ????
Alchol started at about 70%, then ran for much of the run at 60%, I shut down at approx 25%
Overall alchol content reading was 50%.
So I have another stripping run coming up in a few days, and will do the same thing if not advised otherwise.
Thanks again Stig !!!!
Think I'll be back in the 5 star store before long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And thanks to all the other crew, who are more than happy to share their knowledge with others.
Regards
G&T
:text-thankyoublue:

Water flow in to the condenser will not affect flow rate of alcohol, the boiler power input will determine the flow of the alcohol. The alcohol % will be determined by the alcohol % of the wash / low wines.

If your final low wines was 50% you can either strip further down to 20% at the parrot which should result in final abv of low wines of 40% or dilute the low wines to 40%. Being a tpw i would just dilute as you are not trying to get tp flavour carrying over like you would with a rum, bourbon or scotch.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby bluc » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:33 pm

:text-+1: never try control flow by product condenser water flow. Leave that on max..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:49 pm

bluc wrote::text-+1: never try control flow by product condenser water flow. Leave that on max..

:text-+1:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:51 pm

BigRig wrote:Delete the last photo. Shows your name and address and phone number

I cant see anything Ben, please message me with the info to remove
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:18 pm

The Stig wrote:
BigRig wrote:Delete the last photo. Shows your name and address and phone number

I cant see anything Ben, please message me with the info to remove

Looks like it has been removed. Was G&T's purchase receipt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BigRig

Return to Pot Stills