Air still Mininum and can i mix , wash heads tails ?

Pot still design and discussion

Air still Mininum and can i mix , wash heads tails ?

Postby globalmark » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:41 pm

Hi
i have a still spirits airstill , made some good stuff with weetabix wash and others - 24litres wash
question when i distill

i have maybe 1-2 litres wash left - i need 4 litres for a airstill - can i just distill 2 litres if so whats the format - keep , bin etc (as follow the get best out of airstill document posted somewhere here usually)
2. after 1st distill (on same document) - i keep some heads and Tails (seperate ) as when make a 2-3rd wash i can mix these togethet and do a Heads run or mix tails in to 1st distill before 2nd distill .
could i mix all these heads /tails together with the left over wash to make up my 4litres or is it better to keep the wash seperate from heads and tails from 1st distill ?

i have no plans make another wash or run in quite a while as going away and wife pregnant so dont need more booze .. so just want to use up what i got bottle and wash up equipment .. thanks for help and suggestions Guys
Mark
globalmark

equipment: airstil , fuselex filter, mangrove jack ss fermenter

Re: Air still Mininum and can i mix , wash heads tails ?

Postby iOnaBender » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:54 pm

Hi GM,

You run just the 2lt or mix it and run it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Re: Air still Mininum and can i mix , wash heads tails ?

Postby globalmark » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:29 pm

Thanks guys for all the help
in the end i took your advice sort of and ran the 1-2 litres wash with some extra water and got out maybe 1.5 litres give or take (dumped first 30ml or so)
then mixed that with the heads and tails i had made me 2.5litres give or take and bit water and ran that and after dump first 50ml kept the middle until tails started to get low % and taste not to my liking (did several cuts on tails before mix what i wanted )
thanks for help all . good to know i didnt have to always do 4litres ..
globalmark

equipment: airstil , fuselex filter, mangrove jack ss fermenter

Return to Pot Stills