Keg spear end as column to keg connector

Pot still design and discussion

Postby Littledog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi all, just new to the boards. Been thinking for a while about building a pot still (been reading lots about it).
Well I finally built the column and liebig arm and have been hunting around for a keg to use as boiler and was given one with the spear still in it. Its a "CUB" style keg and i removed the spear today. After thinking about it for the last few hours i wondered if anyone as ever tried using the top of the spear (with the guts removed) as a connector to the column? I cut the spear off the top and removed the guts of it and it looks like it might work if the o ring was resistant to alcohol? Any thoughts?

Sam
Littledog

equipment: 50 lt keg Pot still (in progress)

Re: Keg spear end as column to keg connector

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 pm

I think you'll find its easier to just solder a ferrule and use that as you can choose the direction of your condenser too having the tri-clamp there.

With the spear connection I believe you would have to rotate the keg as it is screw in and maybe too much stuffing around when ya gonna have to solder it anyway, not too much bother but when you mod ur keg to have drain ports and fill ports you will want to keep the keg in the one spot and adjust the column to where you want it. Unless I'm missing something? :?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Littledog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks Urrazeb, i dont think you've missed anything. I had thought of just using the hole at the top for filling etc (hadnt thought about fill and drain ports). Well the spear are a fast twist so they screw in with a half turn or a fraction more, i have plenty of space to swing the leibig and it saves me having to get a ferrule and tri clamp, use what i've got etc. Was really just seeing if anyone had tried it before.

Sam
Littledog

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 pm

nothing ventured nothing gained mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Give it a crack and let us know how it goes, if you are doing it on a budget it good to think outside the box.

Dont reckon the original O-ring would suit our needs though :puke-huge:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Littledog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah, didnt think that the original o ring would be any good but had to ask. Is it the alcohol or heat or combination of two that makes rubber no good? Reason being that the original o ring would have been in constantcontact with alcohol when yhe keg is in use. So is the o ring rubber or something else? I was thinking of wrapping a truckload of teflon tape there instead.

Thanks for the input.
Sam
Littledog

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

The alcohol is your main concern, PTFE tape may get you out of trouble but would be looking for a silicone o-ring etc. in the long term if you are going to try this :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby emptyglass » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:15 pm

You can make an "easy flange" on the end of some 2" tube and with a triclamp and a cork gasket, you are on your way to pot still heaven.

But like S&L said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I think your keg is a "D" style sankey fitting. Most cub kegs are. Twist lock, not internaly threaded?
emptyglass

Postby Littledog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Yeah. Twist lock would be a better description.
I will have a look for a silicone o ring and see how it goes.
It just seems like a simple enough solution. If it doesnt work i can always change it.

Thanks.

Sam
Littledog

Postby Mightypns » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 pm

i did the exact thing, but i silver soldered the 2" column onto the screw part and just use flour water mix paste to seal it onto the keg.
Works great, but as some say after screwing it on you may have to rotate the keg which i find no drama. you only have to spin it a few inches.
Mightypns

equipment: Still Spirits Reflux still & Homemade 2" x 60" Pot still

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 pm

If ya need a gasket search for the everlasting PFTE PTFE (fuck knows) gasket, I just used some cardboard and a roll of plumbers tape, fuckin good gaskets mate and don't cost shit :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Littledog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks for the help fellas. Just to let you all know, it does work quite well but i had issues with my soldering skills and had to wind plumbers tape around the joint to completely seal it. In the end after running it this way for a while i decided to invest in stainless ferrul and triclamp, cleaning run with this config today.
Ld
Littledog

Return to Pot Stills