Meet the Lamb Cannon

Pot still design and discussion

Meet the Lamb Cannon

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:09 am

Well, here she is. As of last night, she's a complete unit (minus burner).

Lamb Cannon.jpg

Garden variety keg boiler and 3/4" drain.

Reflux is induced by a 2" x 8" spool housing a 1" x 8" coldfinger, wrapped with Amphora copper mesh. Coldfinger inlet/outlet is drilled and soldered through the sides of the 2" spool. C*nt of a job if you ask me. Should work pretty good I reckon. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Coldfinger1.jpg

Solder.jpg

Product cooling is provided by a 400mm 2" shotgun with triclamp ferrules soldered into the ends. Condenser has 4 x 1/2" tubes with a central 3/4" tube. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but now I reckon that the vapour will want to travel mainly down the 3/4" central tube as it would have the least resistance. Might stuff the tubes with a bit of mesh to turbulate it a bit. Dunno, will suck-it and see I guess. :think:
Condenser was an absolute headfuck to drill and solder, but I did the whole thing with basic hand tools, a shitter $20 ebay torch and Baker's Soldering Fluid. Yep, even works for stainless. :handgestures-thumbupleft: I ended up heating the ferrules from the inside when soldering them to stop the flux from burning. Worked pretty well. Will post up piccies of the condenser internals soon.

torch.jpg

The waterflow side of things is controlled by a couple of brass needle valves that I made into a sort of makeshift water manifold. Pretty it aint but its watertight and layed out well I think. There's a 3/8" ball drain on the bottom of the manifold for adjusting water pressure and dumping water after a run. It also has a push on garden hose fitting for the water inlet. Water here costs me $16 a month for as much as I can use. :happy-partydance:
Valves.jpg

Needle valve on the left is for the shotgun, the other is for the coldfinger.

Cont'd...........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Re: Meet the Lamb Cannon

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 am

Product flows through into a few bends/reducers etc and into my fancy-shmancy parrot.

Parrot.jpg

Its made in 3/4" and houses my alcometer nicely but in hindsight, shoulda gone with inch pipe - oh well.

Oh, its vented at the top too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

In case youre wondering about product/flame distance, well I was too but the whole unit is sheathed in a closed steel drum with the flame area boxed off.

I'll post up piccies of that later too.

Burner is a Bayou Classic SP1 at 185,000btu. Should be pretty sweet. :happy-partydance:

Cheers for reading. :teasing-tease:

P.S. Thanks heaps to Mac for answering my numerous questions over the phone and sorting out various consumables etc for me. Much appreciated dude. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am

Geez mate that is one kick arse pot still, I can see a lot of future add ons that would be awesome on it.

A few plate sections under the main column full of packing, and you got a great vodka rig too.

Nice build, very nice :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 am

McStill wrote:A few plate sections under the main column full of packing, and you got a great vodka rig too.:happy-partydance:

Thats the idea Mac! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hence the question yesterday about your shiny mod parts being available individually. :D

Thanks mate.
Camikaze

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 am

That 45 degree bend before the parrot really sets it off mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:)) :D :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 am

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Sure does mate! Much better than nickel-plated exhaust pipe if you ask me! :laughing-rolling:
Camikaze

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 am

Here's the column packing being rolled. Used nearly 3 pounds of mesh to pack the 26" x 4" column. The Amphora mesh is lovely stuff.

SCM2.jpg

For those that missed the little Amphora mesh how-to I did, here's the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2209

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Meet the Lamb Cannon

Postby Sam. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 am

Looks great mate well done!

Time to start running some hooch through it
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks mate. Just waiting on my burner to arrive from the states. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Fuckin' like a kid on chrissie day at the moment. All excited n' shit. :))

:text-thankyoublue:
Camikaze

Postby blond.chap » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 am

Nice one, very pretty toy
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby googe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 am

Bout bloody time ;-) :laughing-rolling: Looking good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , i like your colent system, very neat! :-D . I really like your parrot with the tee for suport to :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 am

googe wrote:Bout bloody time ;-) :laughing-rolling: Looking good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , i like your colent system, very neat! :-D . I really like your parrot with the tee for suport to :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

:)) :)) Yeah, its taken a while but wife n kids n buyin houses n all that sort of stuff takes up a lot of time and fundage.

Im a fan of the parrot too. Shame about the wobbly lookin' bit of pipe above the tee but i'll be swapping that out soon as it looks a bit shitty.

Cheers mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Postby crow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

looking top notch :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Gas on » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

sweet bit of kit you got there cam :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks guys! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:21 pm

:scared-eek:

Fuckin hell Andy

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Gas on » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Geez andy! :)) :)) bit of control :)) :))
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby JayD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Well done... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 pm

:wtf: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:chores-mop:
Camikaze

Postby bear74 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

that looks like a great bit of kit mate!

bear
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Next

Return to Pot Stills