Pot still design and discussion

The beginning of something beautiful.

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Well finally my copper fitting have arrived and today I have taken my first
step's on the path of being a still owner and operator. After digging around
in my work shop I found some 80mm copper pipe so all I needed was 2 x 90' and
1 x 45' fittings. A reducer from 80mm down to about 10mm and few other small
things to get me on the road.

I did the rounds at all the different stores looking for some safe silver solder but
sadly no one had any on the shelf so I have hit a wall on that part of the build.
But while I am talking about silver solder can someone please give me a brand
that I can go back to my handy man store and get them to order in for me.

With some luck this week I will have two very nice second hand kegs arrive. I am
planing on making 2 kegs in to one. But once again I am left standing with my
hands in my pockets' until the keg's arrive. Once they do I will grab a few fittings
from MacStill. Like a 3" tri clover fitting for the still and a nice big 4' tri clover
and ferule to use on top of my keg for filling it up so I don't have to remove my
still every time.

I have still yet to locate my box of copper fittings in the shed. But once I do
I will make a quick distillers parrot. If any one's got any advice on the parrot
it would be much appreciated if given.

I am also planing on putting an extra 45 where it gose from 80mm to 10mm I
think this will help with a parrot being fitted

Stay tune for new updates in the days to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Re: The beginning of something beautiful.

Postby Linny » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Cool a nice Swan POT :handgestures-thumbupleft: where are ya located ,,, myabe some one can help you out with the solder... Bunnings sells the aqua safe solder , its like $39 .. but you will hardly run out. 10x bigger than the benzo stuff ... and get a small paint brush and bakers flux
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Port Pirie SA
Thanks mate
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Linny » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:26 pm

with all the big pipe and bends already in your possession ,,,, you will find everything else at bunnings , mac can help you with tri-clamp, gasket and ferrule... there are several ways to make a flange.... they all work well... most go mac's way ,,, i went empty glass way. have you got a map torch or butane torch ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

The beginning of something beautiful.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Thumbs up on the shiny!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks for the thums up. I got map gas in the shed. I prity much got every tool you could think of to build a still. Even got few left handed screw drivers.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Distillnation » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:29 pm

I know how you feel man. I'm in the same place as you (literally, port pirie). I only have solder and flux because it came with my propane torch. We have a shit selection to choose from here. Home hardware looks like they might stock the Bernzomatic plumbing solder, but who knows if they will get more in stock.

I'm thinking that it might be easy to just order online.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 pm

that will pump out the good stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Kimbo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 pm

That will be a choice little potstill mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
here is the solder you are after
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm

I agree with linny. I bought 2 kits of the benzo solder and flux and after using the other I hate it and its heaps more expensive.

Got aqua safe solder get a roll 5 x the size for $35 or something like that. get the bakers liquid flux (1000x better then benzo) and its like $7 and they will last you 4 or more build and the benzo crap will last you one per build. Its cheaper and its better I cant see why not to use it
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:44 am

Everything you need to know about what solder/flux to buy mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Soft-solder thread

Good luck with the build. :smile:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 am

BTW, is this rig gonna be gas-fired or electric mate?

Might wanna reconsider your column length if using gas. A burning skunk would smell like shit.. :puke-huge:

Looks nice though mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Distillnation » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 am

Went and had a look today at the two stores here. Looks like Home Hardware has gotten some stuff in stock. There was also a little comweld pack for $23 which had a tiny bottle of flux and a tiny bit of silver solder :-|

They have the bernzomatic solder back in stock, but the price is still ridiculous. For the price of the bernzomatic flux ($22) and the solder ($22) separately, I managed to get the bernzomatic propane torch, flux and solder ($40) altogether.. We are getting ripped off something crazy.

IMG_20130318_105006.jpg

IMG_20130318_105016.jpg

The bakers fluid seems like the cheaper way to go for sure compared to our other options. Now all we need to find is someone who will stock the aqua safe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 am

Camikaze wrote:BTW, is this rig gonna be gas-fired or electric mate?

Might wanna reconsider your column length if using gas. A burning skunk would smell like shit.. :puke-huge:

Looks nice though mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Are thinking my column is to long or to short mate.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 am

Too short for gas mate. Get the output up and away from the keg. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:02 am

Distillnation wrote:Went and had a look today at the two stores here. Looks like Home Hardware has gotten some stuff in stock. There was also a little comweld pack for $23 which had a tiny bottle of flux and a tiny bit of silver solder :-|

They have the bernzomatic solder back in stock, but the price is still ridiculous. For the price of the bernzomatic flux ($22) and the solder ($22) separately, I managed to get the bernzomatic propane torch, flux and solder ($40) altogether.. We are getting ripped off something crazy.

IMG_20130318_105006.jpg

IMG_20130318_105016.jpg

The bakers fluid seems like the cheaper way to go for sure compared to our other options. Now all we need to find is someone who will stock the aqua safe.

Hey mate we probly walked pass each other. I took a look at the price of the bernzomatic solder and had a few choice words come in to my mined. So I went and had a talk to the lads down in the main street but they cant get there hands on the aqua safe solder so I am going to order some from Adelaide in a few days time. Im hoping someone I know might be going down to town over the week end if not then I will be ordering some on thursday if you like I can get an extra roll of aqua safe solder for you. Let me know and I will get back to you on the cost.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:08 am

Camikaze wrote:Too short for gas mate. Get the output up and away from the keg. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ah fuck. That has thrown a spanner in the mix of things. Thats all the 80mm copper i got. I was planing on using gas to get me up and going. Then down the track I would change over to power.
I am trying to keep the start up cost as low as I can. At the moment I have probly put about 300 bucks in to it. But thats kegs and gear for making up my wash mix and so on.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby blond.chap » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 am

Don't stress mate, just put a decent length of 10mm on it after the reducer to get the product away from the gas. Won't cause any problems as long as you punch some holes in the top of the reducer (in case it gets blocked) and make sure it's constantly running downhill. If you can get the output on or below the level of the burner it's even better, ethanol vapour is heavier than air so you want to avoid it flowing down into the burner.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:30 am

Well, yeah but you want to avoid ethanol vapours altogether too. My point was the ethanol in general being that close to the flame.

Could always fork out for a length of 2" from the scrappies if they have it. Would cost fuck all. Maybe scrap price?
Camikaze

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:32 am

Ok quick trip out the shed and a scratch of the head to see what I can do. First thing is I have 2 kegs on the way that I hope to get sometime this year. I am planing on welding them together so there is some extra height. But if you think that is not enought then I do have some 80mm SS out there as well I can add say 300mm of that to the keg with my 80mm ferule welded to that to get me up and away from the boom boom part.
DrunkASAskunk

Next

Return to Pot Stills