Built a pot still with cheap parts

Pot still design and discussion

Built a pot still with cheap parts

Postby shotchas » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:44 pm

I looked into a used building materials yard last week and found a 3.5m piece of 2" copper tube. I asked the guy the price and he puckered his lips, shook his head and said, "Ohh, copper, pretty expensive these days, mate you would be lookin' at 20 bucks for that". I quickly gathered up every other piece I could find including 40mm and 25mm about the same length. Total cost - $40 !!!!! (I didn't try to haggle in case he asked his boss who might have doubled the price)

My existing still design came from one I found on a website a few years ago and did a fine job, could get over 90% ABV with packing for neutrals and achieved flavour in pot mode with no packing, but due to its design with the water tubes going through the column I always suspected it had to be refluxing to some extent and robbing me of flavour in rums etc.
So I built this pot still with the materials plus a few extra bits, did a stripping run on a UJ and very happy with it.
pot still.jpg

New pot still

still.jpg

Old still

I have five fermenters running at the moment for rum and UJ with extra grains. Can't wait to do the final strips!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shotchas

equipment: Home made 2" column on 30L SS keg

Re: Built a pot still with cheap parts

Postby crow » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm

2" liebig :shock: well knock down won't be an issue :icon-lol: ggod one :handgestures-thumbupleft: (yep the other is an older style reflux still)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby shotchas » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:22 pm

The liebeg is actually 40mm, the perspective of the photo makes it look bigger and yes- it does a fine job!
shotchas

Postby Stevem109r » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Very nice, there's $40 in mail for mine lol

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Stevem109r
Site Donor

equipment: HBS Reflux
Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

Postby shotchas » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 pm

About $15 would cover it, I only used about a third of the tubing!
shotchas

Postby spit'n'shine » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Very cool $40.. This is my next project, hope I can get the materials for the same price! :pray:
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby shotchas » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Did a couple of stripping runs on UJ variant, came off at 4L/hr. I'm happy with that.
Just as well I have dam water in a gravity fed holding tank, it needed lots of water at that rate! :D
shotchas

Return to Pot Stills