Ceramic stones Air Still

Pot still design and discussion

Ceramic stones Air Still

Postby Cube » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi guys and gals

I've searched here and interwebs and can't find if the ceramic stones that come with the airstill are reusable. They just seem quite fragile.

Is there something else I can use like whisky stones or is it a weight thing where the need to rise to the surface? I've got the airstill running for its first run now for a strip run then final cuts run.

TPW next.
Cube

equipment: Home brewing

Re: Ceramic stones Air Still

Postby Plumby » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Id say so mate, don't have one myself but a few of the boys at work do and they just wash them off and use them again. They all refuse to use tpw though just dirty old turdbo washes :handgestures-thumbdown:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Cube » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks mate. I'm on my second run now and the stones came out a lot nicer looking than they went in. They were quite crummy.

Doing two strip runs, tossing first 35mm of 1500mm then I'll run the 3000mm to get a half decent bottle of booze

Maybe. I'll see.

Cheers.
Cube

equipment: Home brewing

Postby ancienthart » Sat May 16, 2015 7:47 pm

As a further addition, I'm pretty certain the ceramic thingies are just expensive boiling chips. They give the boiling liquid something for the bubbles of water/ethanol vapour something to form on, and prevent really big boiling "burps".
From a background in organic chemistry, you can use something inert and cheap like marble chips, granite or quartz. So depending on the types of rock you have in your area, and how good you know the different types, you might be able to pick up something suitable off the ground. :smile:
ancienthart

equipment: Airstill.

Return to Pot Stills