Taming the B.D.747

Pot still design and discussion

Taming the B.D.747

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:29 pm

Well it was a wet week last week here so I decided to "tame the beast" ;)
I put together that triple wall liebig on a 2 1/2" potstill to see how It would go. :D :D
and it's pretty impressive I reckon.
I have just finished putting a vinegar run thru it and here's what happened...a cool to touch
15lph @ 27.5c degree output
:character-beavisbutthead: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :obscene-buttsway: :obscene-buttsway: :auto-layrubber: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-nx:
I wrapped the 1/2" inner most tube with a bit of copper wire to create turbulence
and just bunged the rest together as per normal......I spoze
it ended up a bit ugly but it'll do me :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:not planning on wasting time polishing this one
and ya always know ya gas level too :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Faaaarrrrkkkk......Now I gotta make a 2" parrot :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
Stubbydrainer
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Re: Taming the B.D.747

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Well done Dranno......I might have to borrow that thing next time I put on a 160L TPW..
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 pm

Indeed, well done Mr Drainer
it looks the part and obviously has that certain potential ;) hope it goes excellently well for you (i.e. beyond vinegar)....
(Apologies in advance if this is a :crazy: :roll: :doh: type question)
Mate, have you got ANY idea, even in theory, how much better this is given the B.D. '747' heatsource versus, say, a decent three ring burner???? Just wondering about the throughput timing/heat/LPG usage etc.....
Frank

Postby Tracker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Dunno what the heat values would be either but I recon that by the look of the frost on the bottle he would still be draining his second stubby when it was time to swap out the gas bottle. As he said, faaaaaaaark! :shock:

Cheers.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Postby eminiM » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:42 pm

A more compact setup is a double helix coil pre-condenser. Here's a vid with 4500 watts input. Liebig is 18" long, product is dead cold.

eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Frank
I don't know what the output is with this burner, but I do know the bottom ring on the keg took a cane'n....it went blue from the heat :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Has anyone looked at turning the keg on its side more surface area to heat up with the gas .
wynnum1

Postby maheel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:42 pm

wynnum1 wrote:Has anyone looked at turning the keg on its side more surface area to heat up with the gas .

imo i reckon it would be no difference (or maybe less) on standard burners.

it might work better if you set it up with some long burners like BBQ ones right across the bottom, but as it not flat a lot of heat is just going to rush past

if i could be bothered and using gas i would build the 44 gallon heat shield idea that some have, by holding in the heat you would save on energy.

i insulate my electric keg with some silver alfoil bubble wrap stuff and then a blanket to heat up regardless of ambient temps
maheel

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Frank
the difference between the 747 and a 3 ring is like chalk and cheese, the output of the 747 is way way way more fierce and raw, I seem to recall some one stated in here that it would be somewhere in the ballpark of 10,000 watts I don't know if that is right or wrong, but it's a hot fucken thing...I know that

Stubs
stubbydrainer

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Great answer SD and I reckon its a good thing you've obviously enjoyed the build and the result here,

thing is.... me being a tightarse (bet I'm not the only one either) AND having to lug LPG cylinders into and out of my ute for Gas resupply or make yet another town journey with the 9kg camp ones:roll: I can't help but wonder if the amount of gas used per run with the BD 747 (has anyone patented that name BTW??? :laughing-rolling: ) is less/more or 'about the same' as said three ring (or other typical) option. McStill guessed some while ago its similar but you are using one, hence my ask.....

Anyway, I get it touches up the bottom of the keg (but not too bad) and that the heat transfer to the wash is MUCH quicker but.... :think:
Frank

Postby Tracker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:58 pm

My thoughts too Frank.
I love the quick heat up part of the equation but. In my neighbourhood,
1. a 747 at take-off would attract some attention (I try to be as quiet as possible)
2. with the price of gas as it is, I want my bottle to last as long as possible.
3. My shed gets too hot just running a 3 ringer, how hot would a 747 make it? AND, summer is not here yet.

Cheers.
Guess I stick with the 3 ringer and a bit extra time.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Postby stubbydrainer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Frank
SBB and me have talked on the topic of scaling it down to a maybe .... 0.9 mm mig tip and scaling down the air intake to suit the air/fuel ratio ..... the reason for the mig tips is because of 1 thread in the body and various sized tips ranging from 0.6 to 1.2mm....we both agree that it could be possible and with trial and error it could be a goer.....maybe .....maybe not, after all someone trialled this design and made it work
BigDon was addament that the hole must be 1.5 mm for this thing to work ....so ....I type this tongue in cheek :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: But SBB reckons he can't use it the way it is and is keen on a scaled down version

It's perfect for cook'n crabs and BD's 200 ltr boiler ....oh and starting bon-fires :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

Postby SBB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah Ive seen it start a very big bon fire for a party.......just turn the F%@&* thing on its side and point it at a very large pile of hardwood and ya have one huge fire lighter and an instant bonfire .......I'm sure this thing has a heap of potential but it really needs detuning to be of use to the average user using the average boiler....its to bloody ferocious for me as it is.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:06 am

Building your own mongolian could be an option.

gasjets1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:03 pm

G'day 5Star
them there jets you have , can ya tell me a bit about them please ?
do you have an idea of how many you would need to say be equal to a 3 ring burner or the like ?
Got a bit of a plan in my head for a stainless 120-130 ltr boiler and think'n that a heat source that's spread evenly over the entire bottom could be the go,adjustable with separate sections etc sorta like the 3 ring

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

Postby R-sole » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:15 am

You'd be the guinea pig mate. They are rated for lpg at .8mm (i think from memory) but can be drilled out to 1.1 for natural gas.
They have an 8mm metric thread on the bottom.

I reckon 10 of em spaced 6 on the outside and 4 on the inside would make a great burner.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Hmmmm :think: :think:
stubbydrainer

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:37 pm

I should probably patent the new BD747 :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Image
I wonder how many 3600w elements this lil bitch would run? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Return to Pot Stills