Alembics

Pot still design and discussion

Alembics

Postby 13chargers » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone had any experience with Alembics? I love the look of them and the traditional style but not sure what difference the design and complete copper system would make on the flavour of the end product compared to a mostly stainless steel set-up im currently running.

The guy at the brew shop raved about the quality of the spirit they produced when compared to my current system (30L SS electric boiler, copper pot still condenser). But I suspect he's just trying to squeeze a bit more $$$ out of me.

I would mostly be making rum and whiskey.
Does a complete copper system make a difference???

Thanks,
13C
13chargers

equipment: Pot still

Re: Alembics

Postby maheel » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:42 pm

IMO it woudl be more the mash going into the still that gives the flavor

did the shop guy discus what mash was made to get the "raved about" product ?
Not many home brew shops (HBS) i know of want much to do with all grain brewers of the distilling kind.
They do seem very interested in selling turbo yeast, carbon, filtering equipment and flavoring....

those small copper Alembics are not going to be able to produce much product doing all grain, i agree they are pretty :)
maheel

Postby devotus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 pm

I read the other day that Whisky makers love their Alembics or Alembic style stills and they firmly believe that shape, dents and any other peculiarity have great effects on flavour. In the article that I read (I can't remember where) they even reproduce stills with the same damage marks when the other needs to be replaced.

I know a good Alembic is almost essential to produce a top class Absinthe but there is arguments over that as well.
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby R-sole » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:13 am

As i said in the other thread, i don't believe it will make as big a difference to your spirits as suggested. Your copper pot head is enough to remove/convert the sulfides. Biggest quality improvements in spirits comes from learning good cuts, second biggest with patience to age spirits. A large boiler helps with both these aims.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Pot Stills