Q modular boka for pot and stripping runs

Pot still design and discussion

Q modular boka for pot and stripping runs

Postby Mad » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm probably going to end up trying this both ways but thought i might get few peoples insights experiences. Image So this is my setup. My thought to use it as a pot still is
1. just normal config unpacked full open let it roar. (Current stripping method for tpw/neutral)
2. Remove the lower portion and run it top half only if the condensor can handle it
3. Remove condensor cap and clamp the top and force the vapour directly down the shotty. Im not 100% on this method yet due it only allowing 1/2" opening to the pc and their being a valve which if unintentially closed will creat the next big bang and unfathomable consequences from the almighty other half. It would however be then the most authentic "pot" setup?

My longer solution will be 2x 90deg bends tri clamped on the lower section straight around to the pc simple and effective

Just after peoples ideas, other ways, concerns etc. Get my neutral out of the way next couple of weeks then im going to experiment!!
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Re: Q modular boka for pot and stripping runs

Postby WTDist » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Do you mean with your longer section to add a flange to the top of your PC and have 2 90 degree bends together with flanges also, effectively making it a modular pot still/boka?

I would consider this as it would be faster for stripping runs for sure, less friction and larger cross sectional area allowing more vapor speed/flow rate. As for closing it off above the reflux coil and letting it rip with the valve open, i don't see why this wouldnt work either. 1/2" should be enough room for the vapor. Although i don't know how much power are you going to throw at it?

If your aiming for a steady stream on a spirit run with a power controller than this setup will be great. I dont have a boka but from what ive learned i dont see a problem :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Q modular boka for pot and stripping runs

Postby Mad » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Full power is 3600w but i have a controller so can make it exactly what i need for spirit run in "pot" mode. I was thinking for 180deg bend with ferrules from the 800mm lower section around to the PC. This would move the plated section out and remove obstructions for vapour not that they would do much at a guess. Ill just do some playing around over few months and when i get aome results ill b sure to post for others and future reference. thanks WT.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Return to Pot Stills