Mad Dog's 3" block head Pot

Pot still design and discussion

Mad Dog's 3" block head Pot

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:58 pm

So after a year or so of distilling neutrals with a HBS reflux still, it's time for my first build. It's set to be a 3" stainless pot still, semi-modular with a shot gun product condenser. Planning on welding a tri clove to the top of my old boiler, and soldering a bit of 3" copper to my old reflux, with a easy flange, so i can easily swap from pot to reflux, when i want to do a neutral run.
I dropped in at a local scrappy and found a heap of 3" pipe. Picked up this pile for about $50.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Re: Mad Dog's 3" block head Pot

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:14 pm

After a bit of quick cutting and polishing, this is the rough layout. I went all stingy on the tri cloves because i'm on a tight budget to get this build past the treasurer. :D
There's one to clamp onto the boiler, one to clamp a cap on the top, and one to clamp the PC on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Took my bits over to my mate Josh who swings a tig for a living to burn her all up for me. Just tacked it all up tonight and purge it all before welding, this week hopefully.
maddogpearse

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:22 pm

Working on cutting up some plates for my PC. 7 @ 13mm vapor tubes. 450mm long.
maddogpearse

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:11 am

That looks sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Can your mate weld copper to ss?
It would be beneficial if you can incorporate cooper in the vapor path. Maybe the shotty tubes :think:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:26 am

Good stuff!

Copper shotty tubes won't be much help for sulphide removal, you need the copper in the 'up' vapour path.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:20 am

The plan is to just put some copper scrubbers in the main column. When i find a good meter-ish long length of 3" copper, I'll chop off the main column and replace it.
When i was marking the holes for the PC plates i realised i didn't own a compass. Had to quickly knock this up!
maddogpearse

Postby benpandaae86 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:21 am

You can tig copper to stainless using silver solder rods i have done it and was happy with the results probably would be alright in the rc i was thinkin of doin it in my rc and pc just because of the heat transfer in copper is better than staino

Happy stillin
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby maddogpearse » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 am

Got the main column burnt up last night. It looks right at home on top of my old boiler.
main column.jpg

Started getting stuck into my PC.
SG plates.jpg
getting plates round.jpg
SG plates complete.jpg

benpandaae86 wrote:You can tig copper to stainless using silver solder rods i have done it and was happy with the results probably would be alright in the rc i was thinkin of doin it in my rc and pc just because of the heat transfer in copper is better than staino

Happy stillin

This might work alright, but it's a pot still. It wont have an RC.
maddogpearse

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:18 pm

So I've been spending a lot of time thinking about incorporating copper into the build. Who's built a Staino still and had it copper plated? It's relatively inexpensive, would look good and be functional as far as I can tell? Any negatives?
maddogpearse

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Sorry. Disregard my last post. Olly the electroplater says copper won't stick to stainless. Back to thinking again...
maddogpearse

Postby scythe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:25 pm

It will if you nickel plate it first.
Talk to olly again.
Just use some copper mesh up the column, one or two wont slow the vapour down too much.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Muppet » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:33 pm

maddogpearse wrote:So I've been spending a lot of time thinking about incorporating copper into the build. Who's built a Staino still and had it copper plated? It's relatively inexpensive, would look good and be functional as far as I can tell? Any negatives?

I remember benpanda making a insert out of copper pipe offcuts, one many ideas
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:35 pm

benpandaae86 wrote:You can tig copper to stainless using silver solder rods i have done it and was happy with the results probably would be alright in the rc i was thinkin of doin it in my rc and pc just because of the heat transfer in copper is better than staino

Happy stillin

:-B
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby thedarkmesh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Anyone able to share the secret behind having a block head? or carter head? I don't really understand....
thedarkmesh

equipment: Turbo Boiler + 5 Star 4" Modular Still

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:02 pm

You can make a basket and enfuse the spirit as its passing through giving you a flavoured vodka or gin ect with a block head you can cut down on height
No hijack intended
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumdidlydum

Postby bayshine » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Block head just cuts down on height and you can open up the top and stick a hose down it after the run
Carter head is for infusing herbs and spices or fruits in the vapor path :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Got the condenser all welded up today. :music-deathmetal:
maddogpearse

Postby bayshine » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:00 am

Looks sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:32 am

bayshine wrote:Looks sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:

cheers Bayshine!

the boiler lid was a bit of a bugger to weld being so thin. And realised last night during cleaning that its actually not sealed :(
boiler lid.jpg

But really happy with the way the condenser came up. I am a little confused to their name though? Obviously who ever dubbed them a shotgun condenser didn't know their firearms much? From now on I shall call this a "75x450/7 Gatling Gun Condenser"
condenser.jpg

And here it is all assembled. It's currently sitting upside down clamped between a couple of saw horses in my shed full of vinegar!
Assembled.jpg

thedarkmesh wrote:Anyone able to share the secret behind having a block head? or carter head? I don't really understand....

A few reasons I decided on the block head. Like the others said, for infusing botanicals for my gin! (but lets be honest, i'll probably never do that) Secondly because Zac told me to. And thirdly, I kinda just love the name. For some reason it reminds me of me :laughing-rolling:
maddogpearse

Next

Return to Pot Stills