Should I build a Samohon's "The Easy Pot Still"

Pot still design and discussion

Should I build a Samohon's "The Easy Pot Still"

Postby Panda » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Seeing as this is "The friendly distillers community", I'm hoping I can ask this without getting growled at and pointed towards the 1000s of unorganized, cluttered threads to learn.

I currently have a little 25/30liter brew shop boiler and pot head that I have done a couple of stripping runs with. I'm looking at building Samohon's "The Easy Pot Still" (http://homedistiller.org/forum/download/file.php?id=8418) with a 2 inch riser connected to a 50 liter keg with a tri clover and running a 3600w element. I mainly want to make UJSSM and similar and do stripping and spirit runs with this still and a parrot, then later when I have a better understanding and tools build one of the fancy ones and use this to strip.

questions;
1. is this a poor idea and should I stick with the smaller still untill I build something better? (will I get considerably more or better whiskey from this setup then my little still?)
2. will I be happy with the quality of shine this makes
3. should I build a thumper for it now?
4. Is 3600w a big enough element?
5. should I build it with a (pickled) brass union setup so I can mess with the pitch of the condenser?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Re: Should I build a Samohon's "The Easy Pot Still"

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I reckon they're a pretty decent design, I'd say go for it :thumbup:

Here's one similar I built for a member, I've built at least 6 for people here and havnt got any bad feedback..... so they must be good :dance:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=956&p=10743#p10743

QLDAndy has one with a brass nut to attach to his T500 boiler, it works great.

Hold off on the thumper until you get a good feel for running it as is, if you want your output proofier you can always double run anyway.

Everything else you ask I'd say yes too ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Jimmy1 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi Panda,
I am one of the purchasers of one of Macs fine stills and I am completely happy with it. (as amatter of fact I am sipping on some underaged rum and its better than any rum I've had to date)
Easy to run, easy looking to build (time permitting) and a full stipping run takes less than three hours from heat up to clean up :D. So its worth looking at this style of still in my opinion.
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Postby Panda » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Thank you for your insight kind Sirs.
Panda

Postby SBB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Panda wrote:should I build it with a (pickled) brass union setup so I can mess with the pitch of the condenser?

Id forget the brass union and buy a stainless one.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 8-ball » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 pm

i built one of these pot stills very easy but i connected it to a keg and run gas atm
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Panda wrote:Seeing as this is "The friendly distillers community", I'm hoping I can ask this without getting growled at and pointed towards the 1000s of unorganized, cluttered threads to learn.

And that is part of the very reason this forum was started, you wont get bitten for asking reasonable questions here :thumbup:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:22 am

I've built a fair few 2' pot stills (before i'd ever heard of somohan :laughing-rolling: ) and i think it's better to reduce after the 45 degree bend, There's a lot of pressure and weight to carry on that short piece of annealed copper up the top and i think that design could bend, especially with a union.

I like the way i'm doing them now with a stainless union allowing adjustment of the collection height.

potstil1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Panda » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 pm

As not to clutter the forum with useless threads I am going to carry on in here with my build.
After a bit more poking around and taking on board SSB's & 5Star's advice I have a clearer vision of my still to be. Please guide me back on path if my design is lacking and let me know if any of it sets alarm bells ringing.

based loosely off the above PDF, I will have a 50 liter keg (with a 3600w element) tri clovered to a 500mm 2 inch stainless column, then a 90 degree elbow union'd to another stainless 90 degree elbow (to set pitch) then coned down to a 1 inch clover that will connect the stainless to my copper condenser.
The (copper) condensor will step down from 1 inch to a 800mm length of 15mm wrapped in 600mm length of 20mm.

PICCIES so far.

Keg with a short length with clover fitting at each end. I will cut this in half, use one half as the start of my column and keep the other piece for future projects.

Condensor, honed out the 3way fittings so the 15mm is continuous throughout without joins.

2.5" - 1" stainless reducer. I will be cutting this up just for the cone to go from 2" to 1". 2" end will be welded to elbow and 1" welded to clover end.

second hand element

This is all very exciting for me, I apologize if you don't share my enthusiasm. As said before, please pull me up if my build is going wrong somewhere.
Panda

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 am

G'day Panda
Ya build looks good so far mate , but I have a question for ya . If I read this right you are building ya rig outta stainless with a copper Liebig,
Are ya gunna pack the column with copper scrubbers/structured mesh ? So the copper can knock out the nasties that a copper rig would

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Panda » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:04 am

stubbydrainer wrote:G'day Panda
Ya build looks good so far mate , but I have a question for ya . If I read this right you are building ya rig outta stainless with a copper Liebig,
Are ya gunna pack the column with copper scrubbers/structured mesh ? So the copper can knock out the nasties that a copper rig would

Cheers
Stubs

I wasn't intending to. Time for some more reading I guess :p

Edit: Maybe I can give the column a copper sleeve
Panda

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 pm

5Star told me this once
Copper converts some nasties in the distillate via chemical reaction. It is important to have some copper in the vapour path somewhere, your column can be stainless with copper packing and will perform just as good.

In my opinion lining the column with copper would be more difficult than making the column in copper from the get go
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby R-sole » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:50 am

You can put copper in the boiler as well i think.

It's to do with converting sulphides
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby devotus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:30 am

Wouldn't the copper Liebig be enough? It's getting both vapour and liquid, warm and cold so conversion of sulphides should take place or?
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby R-sole » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 am

Try it both ways and tell us the difference.
R-sole

Postby devotus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:10 am

so from a quick snoop around, the general theme is that the copper needs to be in the vapour path. Is the Liebig condenser considered part of the vapour path? It's definitely vapour when it reaches the condenser so, I'm gonna take a stab and say yep. I also gather from my 5 minutes of intensive study that throwing copper in the boiler would not work.

Disclaimer....I know jack shit.
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby Al Qaemist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 am

I run an all stainless rig. It seems to make the most difference on the strip, If I forget to put my scrap copper off-cuts in the strip head and I'm running rum it's got a real eggy sulfur smell. Doesn't seem to be such a problem if running a very clear neutral wash.

I think you may be okay just with the copper condenser - if I've forgotten to add the copper, even the output running though my copper parrot seems to clean up the smell that I get a wiff of comming off the condenser.

I have had some real vile smelling rum come off when missing the copper - I just added bits of copper to the DJ, and it went black in a few days - and the smell was gone.
You still had the black bits of flake floating about, but as it was strip and was going to be redistilled, it was fine.

Al
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 pm

From my understanding copper in the boiler works quite well, copper in the the column even better, and copper in the condenser is ok.

Basically you want as much of the vapor as possible coming into contact with copper, a simple copper mesh scrubber in your column is the most effective way of removing sulphides..... just ask the VM guru's around the traps ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:56 pm

From my understanding , and Ive done a fair bit of reading on this, copper in the boiler makes a lot of difference. I use a handfull of 1/2 inch off cuts in mine cut into very short lenghts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Dont know about anyone else but every time I have emptied my backset from a sugar wash it has had a strong "sulfur" smell about it. The product does not and my current still is all copper so it definitely does something. Would be an interesting experiment to run an all stainless rig with just some copper off cuts in the boiler.... :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Next

Return to Pot Stills