Thanks folk. Successful first TPW.

Reflux still design and discussion

Thanks folk. Successful first TPW.

Postby Marbled » Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 pm

I've just run my first TPW through the T500, and I have to say I'm delighted.
Virtually all I've learned has been through this forum, so a big thank you to all .

From a 25L wash I took, 100ml or so fronts., 3 x 250 ml jars of heads (already recycled with some other disappointing results in the second run of the day), 9 x 250ml jars of very nice clean product. (I'm still learning so only interested in a very clean spirit just now)

But.... No tails. All of the "keeper" jars including those towards the end smell perfect, and the Mrs with a far better sense of smell than me agrees.

I can't say I'm disappointed, just confused. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the info. :dance:

The next wash is bubbling away nicely for the next session.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Re: Thanks folk. Successful first TPW.

Postby Andy » Thu May 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Congrats on your first run mate.

my only though is that there will always be tails (unless you stopped the run before they came out?)
how long have the jars been airing? after about 24-48 hours airing, re-smell and then start tasting (make sure the portion you taste is mixed with water. probably 50/50 ratio) and hopefully the tails come out at you
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby SBB » Thu May 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Marbled wrote:I can't say I'm disappointed, just confused. Any thoughts?

Now Im confused? do you mean because you didn't get any tails?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby punchy21 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:37 pm

What ABV did you start at and what did you :think: run down to??
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Marbled » Fri May 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks for the replies men.

Yes. I was confused as to no tails, which have now "developed" in the last jar off, so now I understand a bit more.
I'll give the tasting a go shortly. I'm delighted to have 8 jars with all but zero aroma. I'll be giving some of it a go as vodka, unflavoured at 40% .... Probably over the weekend.
I've also got some horrible looking bits of charred wood that will be soaking in some :music-deathmetal:

I didn't do any specific gravities this time around, I wanted to make the whole process as simple, uncomplicated as possible. I made up the wash and left it for 17 days, by which time the colour was fallen to the bottom leaving a light pinky coloured wash for distilling.
The product came out at 93% though, which made me smile. (Not half as much as I'll be smiling when I'm sampling it properly)
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Return to Reflux Stills