seal on keg

Reflux still design and discussion

seal on keg

Postby Pete8686 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Hey guys I picked up a keg today but the guy has grinded a small chunk off the top to get the middle piece out easily. If I put some flour paste in the triclamp do you think that will be sufficient to prevent it from leaking? Im joining a 2inch ss column with ferrule to the keg with a triclamp and gasket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Re: seal on keg

Postby beeksy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Yea, that should work.
another way would be roll a small ball of thread tape and jam it in there. Clamp should do the rest
beeksy

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka on 1.4m column and 2" Pot on a modified HBS 25lt Boiler

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:27 pm

You may be able to fill it with soft silver solder,or get it TIG ed ,but then Iam a safety first person ,in the long run I bet you even think ya dont want ta worry about leaks every run,flour paste is only a temperary fix to me .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby 7evan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:38 pm

hillzabilly wrote:You may be able to fill it with soft silver solder,or get it TIG ed ,but then Iam a safety first person ,in the long run I bet you even think ya dont want ta worry about leaks every run,flour paste is only a temperary fix to me .cheers hillzabilly

I agree with billy.

'Find' another one. It will piss you off down the track. Especially if you are planning on putting a window and element in it.
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby Pete8686 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:10 pm

I was thinking of putting a dab of silver solder in there to fill it as its gonna be a pain in the arse using flour paste all the time. I wasnt sure if silver solder would take to stainless though. Ill get another in time just dont have the finances at the moment lol still need a burner or element, water pump, hydrometer and 60l fermenter :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Postby SBB » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Fix it or get another keg, short cuts rarely pay off in this hobby, if they do its only for a short time and then they become a source of frustration.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:27 pm

would make a great low wines storage or aging keg, or if you're going to get other bits welded on just cut it off and go straight to 4" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 am

WHat Mac Said :text-+1:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby unsub » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:57 am

My first keg boiler was exactly the same and I used flour paste to seal it up. It was a major pain in the arse, flour paste is messy shit to use and then to clean up afterwards and you would be surprised at how much you need to get a good seal because the steam/vapor will work it's way through any little opening.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Return to Reflux Stills