Tastillers keg still build.

Reflux still design and discussion

Tastillers keg still build.

Postby Tastiller » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:39 pm

hello everyone this build has been a while in the making as i lost a bit of interest for a while but i have finally made a start on the build the build consists of
A 50 litre keg for the boiler with a ball valve for a drain and 1x2400w element and 1x3600w element the plan is to run both elements to get up to temp then just run the 2400w element with voltage controller. (still waiting on the ssr of ebay).
for the top i have made a simple pot still and a 2 inch boka column. this is my first attempt at working with copper so the soldering is a bit messy but it didnt leak during the cleaning run so that is a good sign.
Sofar i have cleaned it with lemon juice/salt/water and have done a vinegar/water run, once i get my voltage control made i will run some cheap wine through for the final cleaning run. i have 2 tpw just about ready to go so hopefully the solid state relay shows up this week.
I also knocked up a parrot one night last week.
Here is a link to my flickr album for the still.
let me know what you think, if there is anything that needs changing.
Cheers.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124308909 ... 959362861/
Tastiller

equipment: Turbo 500 super reflux with column extension.

Re: Tastillers keg still build.

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:54 pm

hey mate. build looks good. coil is one of the best ive seen :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

as far as i know you wouldn't need the controller to run the TPW through the boka (though i haven't used one so someone else might have better advice)
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Bootross » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:17 am

G'day Tastiller,
looks like you've made good progress there, and pot still and boka should allow you to make whichever beverage you choose.

While looking at your Flickr album I noticed the picture of the element wiring.
I'm going to start off be saying that I'm not an electrician, but generally people fit those elements with a robust element guard that completely covers, conceals and protects the terminals. I can see that the terminals themselves are insulated, which is good, but it's not clear what happens deeper in the recess.

If it were my still, I'd have the additional cover in place for extra piece of mind and splash protection.
I just want to make sure that your still is as safe as it can be, for your sake and also for any other forum members that may imitate your wiring setup. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bootross

equipment: Still spirits super reflux on loan from a mate.

Postby Tastiller » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:09 pm

yeah cheers for the feedback i was quite pleased with how the coil turned out Andy.
as for the element terminals you are right Bootross they are insulated although the plan is to make a terminal cover for extra protection. i am still thinking about the best way to do that.
I am also thinking about insulating the boiler not sure how i will do that yet but i will put some pictures up once done.
Tastiller

equipment: Turbo 500 super reflux with column extension.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Nice work! That is a sweet coil.

Look here for element guards
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2301 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Reflux Stills