Small benchtop still

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Small benchtop still

Postby C2H6O » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Stoney wrote:why is everyone so addicted to 2 inch columns ?.

Its funny you say that as i get the impression that 2" isn't really that popular anymore. It certainly has its benefits with cost and ease of working with but the run times are still painfully slow. I really enjoy running my 2" VM/LM but very rarely have a full day to devote to it. For me its been a great learning curve but am constantly on the hunt for some 4" or 6" to upgrade.

Cheers
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Stoney » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:37 pm

for your 'small benchtop still'?

lol. I got a look in simms metal copper bin last weekend, lots of columns in there, right up to 4 inch and some 5ft lengths of 6 inch .. mouth was watering.

then they gleefully told me they do not sell to the public at all.
grr
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Stoney wrote:for your 'small benchtop still'?

lol. I got a look in simms metal copper bin last weekend, lots of columns in there, right up to 4 inch and some 5ft lengths of 6 inch .. mouth was watering.

grr

I would have asked if I turned up the next day with a carton of his favourite beer and cash wether that would still be the case .hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby C2H6O » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Stoney wrote:for your 'small benchtop still'?

grr

Hey mate the small benchtop still i started this thread for was one i was making for friends who are space limited. The 2" pipe was some i had left scrap in my shed, so just wanted to have a play.

My still doesn't quite fit on the bench :D

still.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C2H6O

Postby Stoney » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 pm

nice keg connection.
boka or pot still too, do you remove the column for pot still mode or just the packing ?

i just grabbed the parts to convert my old aluminium pressure cooker to a little pot still for ouzo, lots of hearsay about ally pots and I had one doing nothing so might give it a go for myself.
its an old one with a rubber seal though, might just try wrapping the entire seal with plumbers tape.

no drilling needed, punched out the old pressure lock with a punch a 1/4 pipe to 1/8 bsp fitting screws in perfectly and seals with a o ring.
Stoney

2" pot column

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Ally pot still :angry-banghead: your jokeing right.Safety First Allways.Copper,stainless,glass.tryed tested safe .Just my opinion hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:18 pm

^ :text-+1:

Aluminium is no good mate!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:^ :text-+1:

Aluminium is no good mate!

:text-imwithstupid: :text-lol: :text-+1: :text-+1:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Stoney » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 pm

yeh its just for a test run. if i like the speed and result then I will find myself an SS pot, waiting for aldi to have the big ss crockpots in again. they looked awesome apart from the glass lid.

theres not much real info around on any real risks, alzheimers is bollocks, disproved years ago and I used this same pot to make hundreds of meals in .. some acidic, like pasta sauces.
now thats a few litres, you eat the lot ..

now I am not going to put an acidic wash in it, i am going to put dilute pure spirits, say 40% and herbs, not particularly acidic. aluminium is listed on the ethanol msds as a safe container.

then distill in it, may or may not get some ally salts into the wash, may or may not make it into the distillate as it may or may not get to the end of the copper .. only going to run 2 litres or so, enough to pull out maybe 800ml to a litre at 60-80% .. then that gets diluted again and is likely consumed over probably a month period at maybe 200ml a week. not a big drinker, i like a nip.

if I can even taste the tiniest taint of ally or anything metallic, i will bin it. compare the risks to cooking in one, like millions of people still do. never tasted off then, why should this be any different ?

there is plenty of people on google been using an ally boiler for many years with no issues. not a lot of real info on why not. just lots saying not to with no real reasons.

things with lots of aluminium .. toothpaste, anti-persperants, the earth (7% of the crust), drinking water, foods - tea, cocoa, tomatoes, cereals.

we breath it, eat it, rub it on our skin .. i can't see drinking a tiny amount intermittently life threatening. discuss.
Stoney

2" pot column

Postby Sam. » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Instead of derailing this thread you could revive this old thread in the safety section if you like :handgestures-thumbupleft:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1794
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Stoney » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 pm

its a small benchtop still, didn't think it was derailing but sure..
Stoney

2" pot column

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby C2H6O » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 pm

Stoney wrote:nice keg connection.
boka or pot still too, do you remove the column for pot still mode or just the packing ?

Cheers mate, I run the forshots and the heads off through the LM (boka) then take the hearts off with the VM (red gate valve), you don't get much tails through the VM. Boka is great for compression of heads and VM for compression of tails, leaves me with a good amount of hearts.

I haven't actually run it as a pot still yet but have a piece of stainless thread so I can remove the gate valve and do this. Oh I also have a cap so I can remove the reflux coil. Will prob remove packing and keep the column.

Cheers
C2H6O

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:44 am

For a bench top still i like Linny,s check it out viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4889 It,s a good combination .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby C2H6O » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Cheers mate, perfect link :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If I could make something half as good as that the lads would be happy..

Thanks
C2H6O

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills