reflux still temp variance

Reflux still design and discussion

reflux still temp variance

Postby waynescider » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Learnt today that running my still outside probly not the best idea as tho it was a :ugeek: beautiful day even the slightist breeze was enough to cool the condenser 1-2 even up to 4 degrees lol so lesson learnt il use longer hoses and move it under the house into my workshop
waynescider

equipment: 25ltr reflux still

Re: reflux still temp variance

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Have you got it insulated :think:

Can help if you have to run outside :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Danish » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:03 am

i also learned that lesson yesterday.

Had my quad ring burner cracking under it, insulated columm and everything, sitting very nice on 78,1 wind gust come down my way, and temp dropped sometimes all the way down to 70.

I think i have make a little mod to my burner, and just use that with the potstill top, and order a heating element or two. That way i can seek shelter in the garage/shed instead.
Danish

equipment: 2" pot and vm reflux still, build by 7Evan

Postby bt1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 am

yep,
running outside can be a challenge...

Pick your days for sure, but if it's not ideal I wrap the column in bath towels etc does the job stopping the fluctuations.

Car rim mounted burner provides a seamless join to the keg directing/containing the heat. If you fix the burner issues the temp variations are fairy minor.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Danish » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:21 am

yeah i think i might try and make a shield around the burner, to stop the breeze from blowing the flame away, and also insulate right out past the take off valve, and maybe right up past the RC on the colum.
Danish

equipment: 2" pot and vm reflux still, build by 7Evan

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:47 am

What I did is make sure the distance between the bas of the keg and the burner is minimal and I used the Rambo style 45mj burner with a wind shield all around; this seems to be almost perfect in heating and even if windy, the heat remains fairly constant. In fact I usually have it on 1/2 once heated.

The other part to this is insulating the keg. I used the ceramic fibreglass product used in pizza ovens. You can get 2m from eBay for around $20. This also reduces heat up time and holds the keg at a constant temp.

The only other issue with windy days is the distillate coming out of the parrot, blowing around. I have made (yes with my hands for a change, lol) a wind shield for this and seems to work very well and makes this part very safe.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Return to Reflux Stills