still to condencer join is this ok

Reflux still design and discussion

still to condencer join is this ok

Postby jord4231 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi Guys
My still used to have pvc rubber tubing from the top of the still head to the condenser with hose clamps... not good but that's how I brought it.
So today with cooking in mind for tomorrow I've made a big effort to change EVERY thing that comes near my alcohol that has anything to do with plastic for stainless or copper
Just wondered what you guys thought of this
I have put in a copper join but since my last try at brazing I wont attempted on my still.
Also In the past I have had NO luck with soldering copper to stainless with aqua safe solder.

So for today I put the pipe on fairly tight fit then used foil tape around it just as a sealer.
It seams not to be leaking (I've put water in the boiler to test)

Is this solution a good one? I can remove it easily if need be and the condenser is supported lower so its not really holding it on
Last edited by jord4231 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jord4231

equipment: Reflux still

Re: still to condencer join is this ok

Postby jord4231 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:55 pm

still join.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jord4231

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:31 pm

If I were you ,buy some tri clamp unions TIG the joins to the still and the condencer,buy a 90% tri clamp elbow ,shasam problem fixed fa good and safe allow movement help cleanin smaller pack up .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby benpandaae86 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:05 pm

I know that you can get some stainless steel crimp fittings theyre pricy and so is the crimper but if u know a plumber u may get lucky or stainless steel compression fittins you dont want to use brass
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Linny » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18mm-3-4-Equ ... 19f30a572f

One of these .... SOOOO easy to install ,, and easy to adjust condenser angle if required

EDIT : noticed that you have two of them , could use an elbow if you have the space

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3mm-18mm-1-8 ... 19f30a5936
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby jord4231 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys maybe future improvements
Well I took the punt and tried a different lead free silver solder turned out I found a roll and flux reduced to clear.

This time I took my time slowed every thing down and used a electric heat gun! Results very good.
Only suggestion I can make to any one wanting to solder DON'T WEAR THONGS :laughing-rolling: burny burny ah ah :text-lol:

I'll post some pics up as soon as my camera charges I'm doing a water leak test right now

It got the better of me and I had to do some thing better than the tape tonight because I want to cook tomorrow :)
jord4231

Postby jord4231 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:20 pm

solder.jpg

Also replaced the hose from the bottom of the condenser to my collection jars to 1" copper also :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jord4231

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 pm

Yeah that sure is better than the tape,hope the test goes well with no leaks.I found the soft foam sanding pads good for getting things cleaned up after a repair,happy stillin hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby jord4231 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:39 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Yeah that sure is better than the tape,hope the test goes well with no leaks.I found the soft foam sanding pads good for getting things cleaned up after a repair,happy stillin hillzabilly

Cheers hilzabilly :)
jord4231

Return to Reflux Stills