Re-doing my relfux to a Boka

Reflux still design and discussion

Re-doing my relfux to a Boka

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 03, 2014 8:23 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well it has been said that reflux still design where the product is condensed then returned to the column is a bad design I'm thinking of cutting off the top and making a boka. Now it will be only 1 metre high so it is worth doing or just go with this old design I found before I knew this forum existed. As I have already made the 1/2" copper condensor to fit inside a 3" SS tube this old design just needs finishing.

Big question as I do want to do neutrals to make nice liquors etc.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Re-doing my relfux to a Boka

Postby Sam. » Sat May 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Bryan1 wrote: Well it has been said that reflux still design where the product is condensed then returned to the column is a bad design

What do you think happens in a Boka? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Re-doing my relfux to a Boka

Postby Yummyrum » Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Bryan .you should post some pic so we can see what you're talking about....but I'm guessing you have one of those older offset stills with the three inch condenser shell and the two valves.

There is nothing wrong with modifying it but converting it to a boka will probably result in tje same thing ....it s just condnsed reflux back into a 1 meter packed column.

I fully encourage doing this sort of thing ...it will make you a much learnered distiller.
If its not much bother go for it....but the results will be pretty much the same as what you are getting now....if you drive it the same
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Return to Reflux Stills