Question on Boka build

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Question on Boka build

Postby C2H6O » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Not sure about the pipe packing but had to comment on the still head, looks fantastic mate, awesome job!!
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby twojaythomo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Autosol Metal polish from supercheap works so good, we'll for me anyway as I don't have any electric polishing tools so works great just by hand.
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:58 pm

twojaythomo wrote:Autosol Metal polish from supercheap works so good, we'll for me anyway as I don't have any electric polishing tools so works great just by hand.

Have you tried that stuff on staino tjt I believe it works well on that as well.

Btw your Boka head looks real good mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 pm

twojaythomo wrote:Anyone think this would be a waste of time putting this tube at the top of my packed column

Packing is all about surface area. You will still get some reflux action happening on this pieces but think how much more surface area copper mesh or staino scrubbers have ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby twojaythomo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 pm

I have a 1.5m packing column I was going to fill with SS scrubbers just thought I would put more copper near the top then hold them in place with little more SS scrubbers right at the top so there was more copper in the vapor path but by the sounds of it will not make a different.
My quick paint shop lol which is trerrible but the grey parts being SS scrubbers and orange being the copper, any point to this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by twojaythomo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twojaythomo

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 pm

It will add more copper in the vapour path, it won't hurt being there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

With 1500 column you should have no probs pulling azeo ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby twojaythomo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Oh yeah how many of these packs do you guys think will be needed, lol I gues about 7 pack at least and do they need to be packed tight, medium or loose?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-clean-tuf ... s_p4465903
twojaythomo

Postby twojaythomo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:32 pm

BourbonJunkie wrote:
twojaythomo wrote:Anyone think this would be a waste of time putting this tube at the top of my packed column, I know its not much but got over getting hot copper pieces in the face was about 2 meters of 3/8" tube, all that cutting for such a small amount.

I have previously tried it over a reasonable length. I now consider it to be a waste of time.

You will get far better ABV with copper mesh.

Yeah I'm just going to but it in anyway, it's only a small amountthe rest will be SS scourers but that is good to know sounds like a was of time.
twojaythomo

Postby twojaythomo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Finished the upper part of the column just waiting on needle valve and fittings, one more ferrule because the reducer is the same diameter as the pipe for some reason and need to purchase an element and some SS scourers because Bunnings near me is useless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twojaythomo

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 pm

It really is an impressive tall fucker TJT. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mines only 1 meter packed SS scrubbers and I really can't taste anything thats sulpherish in my product. I think you wouldbe fine with or without the extra copper...but might as well use it since its there.I think that the copper column and head provides enough surface area alone

My preference would be to stick it on top of the SS scrubbers.rather than the sandwich.
Just my aspergers ;-)
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby twojaythomo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 pm

I was only going to put in under a thin layer of scrubbers just enough to hold them in so I can pull off the packing column, lay it down so the copper tube packing will not fall out and put on the pot still column.

do you think the packing column is too long and I could get away with less?
twojaythomo

Postby twojaythomo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:13 pm

twojaythomo wrote:Oh yeah how many of these packs do you guys think will be needed, lol I gues about 7 pack at least and do they need to be packed tight, medium or loose?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-clean-tuf ... s_p4465903
I used 4 packets for a 1.5m 63mm column just in case someone was interested. Now I need to take back 3 packets.
twojaythomo

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:53 pm

twojaythomo wrote:.......do you think the packing column is too long and I could get away with less?

Only when the length gets over 20x the column Diameter is it too long :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The more you can handle ,the better.
Yummyrum

Postby twojaythomo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
twojaythomo wrote:.......do you think the packing column is too long and I could get away with less?

Only when the length gets over 20x the column Diameter is it too long :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The more you can handle ,the better.

Yep soon as I posted that comment I was like nope for now while I have the room I will use it maybe when I move and don't have so much room/land I will cut down the column to fit under standard 2.4 ceiling.
But reall the diameter is 63mm times by 20 is 1260mm so really I could trim off 200mm and still be a effcient length, is this not correct?
twojaythomo

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 pm

According to the theory ,I guess you could . ;-) Beyond 20x Dia was apparently reported as no significant increase in ABV .

If you can fit it in your room and comfortably reach the valve then sure , I'd leave it too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby twojaythomo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Yeah I did just look at the valve height I cut it off so I could unclamp it and sit it down but didnt think of the height it was, oh well just have to have a step to adjust the valve no big deal
twojaythomo

Postby twojaythomo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Yummyrum wrote:According to the theory ,I guess you could . ;-) Beyond 20x Dia was apparently reported as no significant increase in ABV .

If you can fit it in your room and comfortably reach the valve then sure , I'd leave it too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Do you think this is too high, going to need a stand to reach the tap unless I put a long take off tube on.
twojaythomo

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm

You don't want a long off take tube to lower the valve on a LM or it will cause smearing.

Just use a ladder, that's what I used to do :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Holy shit that's a tall rig.

Time for an EWP, or a scissor lift maybe :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Geeps » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 pm

twojaythomo wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:According to the theory ,I guess you could . ;-) Beyond 20x Dia was apparently reported as no significant increase in ABV .

Do you think this is too high, going to need a stand to reach the tap unless I put a long take off tube on.

:scared-eek: Faaark is that snow on top :D
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux Stills