Modifying the cooling on a pure distilling reflux

Reflux still design and discussion

Modifying the cooling on a pure distilling reflux

Postby Gavhancox » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:54 am

I have a pure distilling reflux with the 600ml extension, and a needle valve instead of the little restriction valve at the output.

The output is very slow, I have stuffed around with the boiler temperature, I have now 22000 litres of cooling, but as the run gets on in time ( couple of hours) the output at best is a fast drip. I don't mind that with the heads, but would like a steady stream when in the hearts.

My guess is the top of the column and the output copper pipe heats up over time reducing or restricting the evaporation rate

I was wondering whether a leibig condenser added to the needle valve will help the output flow as I feel the standard condenser doesn't seem to be doing the job

Am I on the right track or is there another factor I don't know about
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gavhancox

equipment: 50 lt keg with 2 elements and controller,
pot still and pure distilling reflux with 600mm extension

Re: Modifying the cooling on a pure distilling reflux

Postby scythe » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Im unfamiliar with that still coul you post a photo of the internals?

At a guess, if the output was angled down a bit instead of being nearly horizintal it would flow out a bit easier instead of pooling.
You might have quite a bit falling back down the column to the boiler.

Also ditch that chromed brass ball valve, seems a bit silly to have 2 valves doing the same thing.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Try rotateing the needle valve 180' and see if ya flow improves,and I donot think haveing the other valve there is needed or helping ,and :text-+1: a little downwood angle would help but you may need a 45'degree fitting in that situation.If ya running it on a 50lt keg a product cooler would be a good idear,your fairly maxed out with the small coil in those units.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Gavhancox » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:51 pm

Ok, I'll change the angle and get rid of the other valve (I only used that one to put the still into full reflux at the start). Hills what to do you mean by a product cooler?
Gavhancox

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Ta me a leiberg after the needle valve is a product cooler not a condencer in the true sense ,as ya would not want to rely on it to condence vapour, but to cool the rather hot output that most LM stills give.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:54 pm

If ya have vapour exiting your valve then haveing an extra condencer will not stop vapour loss from the top of the still,and in full reflux it will not help the stills efficency.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby Gavhancox » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:09 am

The strange thing is once I was well and truly in hearts the flow improved to a steady small stream and it stayed that way until the end. It's got me stuffed why the change
Gavhancox

Return to Reflux Stills