3/8th condensor single coil (for a boka)

Reflux still design and discussion

3/8th condensor single coil (for a boka)

Postby maheel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:30 pm

here is something i was playing with today for a 2nd boka i am building
2' inch pipe about 200mm long, 3/8 coil about 220mm long
when it winds it flattens out a bit but does not restrict the flow much
the connectors are a bunnings hose joiner cut in half for "click" fittings the 3/8th fits perfect :D

i hate 1/4 in coils as i find the water flow restrictive using the pumps i have. but 1/4 coils work very well
Thought this might make a interesting change.
i have another 1/4 coil that comes back up the middle and it can knock down 2200w easy

i tried it tonight on just water steam and it needs a scrubber in it to prevent steam escaping.
once the scrubber was jammed in no problems knocking down 2200W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maheel

Re: 3/8th condensor single coil (for a boka)

Postby reknaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Can't go wrong as long as it knocks down the vapour your in business :)
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:35 pm

I like this, it's pretty simple and that's a good thing in my books.

3/8 is a bitch to coil tho isnt it :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:07 am

the idea was for simplicity as i actually find the 3/8 fairly easy to coil but the 90" bend and changeover to run up a mandrel is the challange...

it flattens a bit but allows plenty of flow for me and my pond pump without much restriction

this week i need to go get some 90" 3/8 bends as in retrospect a single coil with will make a even easier build in a boka (for me) then there is no need for the 50mm joiner either
maheel

Postby reknaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Kind of hard to explain but what about looping the 3\8 at the bottom and bringing it back up the centre of the coil. so when you start it put on end through the centre and coil around it? Make sense? I know what I am trying to say but not sure if I've put it into wrords so it makes sense :)
reknaw

Postby maheel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Spud1700 wrote:Kind of hard to explain but what about looping the 3\8 at the bottom and bringing it back up the centre of the coil. so when you start it put on end through the centre and coil around it? Make sense? I know what I am trying to say but not sure if I've put it into wrords so it makes sense :)

yeah i know what you mean, single coil with the line "in" coming down the middle
getting the 180" bend then the transition to the coil is tricky on 3/8th (for me)

i got a 90' elbow today and intend to roll the coil and solder the 90' on the to allow the center pipe to come off the coil at 90'
might try a sugar filled bend out of interest as well :)
maheel

Postby Heffers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm

I just coiled some 3/8th for the top of my reflux column and for the most part did it without too much flattening or kinking.

I crimped one end then filled the tube with salt and crimped the other end before gently coiling around the handle of my trolley jack. It was a bit of a bastard to get the salt out but after a soak in hot water overnight we were all systems go. For the really tight bends I silver soldered a 90 degree capillary bend on ($1.35 from bunnings).

There are two types of copper to work with, one is "hard drawn" and doesn't like coiling very much, the other is "annealed" and coils nicely. (sorry if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs here)

Before anyone asks, yes I used lead, zinc and cadmium free rods for my silver soldering. From memory they were 60% silver and made copper to stainless soldering a breeze.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby maheel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey heffers

where did you get the 3/8 90' at bunnings?

I didnt think the big green shed did 3/8 ?

give us a pic mate :)
maheel

Postby Heffers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:54 pm

I apologise, it wasn't bunnings, it was the HVAC (refridgeration) section of Reece plumbing at Enoggera in Brisbane. Sorry for the shit buzz about Bunnings.

Will throw some photos up with pics of my still as soon as I get a chance.

Just re-read your post and realised that you put yours into 2" tube, nicely done. My coil measures 2 1/4" accross so may well have flattened trying to get it that tight even with the salt packing.
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby maheel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:29 pm

1.50 is still a great price as sometimes reece want big $$$ if you dont have an account :x

i wish bunnings did 3/8..... and 2, 4, 6, 8 inch.... lol

i ordered a few tools this week, hopefully they roll up tomorrow and i can get a few of my ides into copper :) or at least make the scrap bucket heavier :mrgreen:

that 3/8 single coil of mine can knock down 2200w (water steam) no worries it flattened a bit but did not restrict flow at all
the hose nipples solder on to 3/8 no driling :!:
maheel

Return to Reflux Stills