Running spirit through again

Reflux still design and discussion

Running spirit through again

Postby SUDS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:24 pm

I have a few liters of essences and other experiments that I didn't enjoy and am planning to run them through my T500 again to get back to a neutral. I am guessing I can put them in the boiler and add water to bring down the ABV and run it.

What % should i get it down to?
As it is finished product and would be all hearts (from previous wash) do i need to take cuts?

Thanks
SUDS

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Running spirit through again

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Plenty of threads here say to run it NOT ABOVE 40%.

Plenty of threads here also say to TAKE CUTS AS PER USUAL

Use the search function at top of page :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 am

I have not even done my first run yet but from what I have learnt though this forum any spirit run must be done with stripped low wines no MORE than 40% alcohol (for safety reasons) so one would assume to rerun a spirit it will need to be diluted down to 40% with water first.

From what I have read you only need to throw away foreshots on stripping run and collect the rest,
Then on spirit run throw away your foreshots once agains then collect in small jars so it's easier when making cuts to distinguish between heads, hearts, and tails.
Last edited by Zak Griffin on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for clarity.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Plumby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:48 am

copperhead road wrote:I have not even done my first run yet but from what I have learnt though this forum any spirit run must be done with stripped low wines no less than 40% alcohol (for safety reasons) so one would assume to rerun a spirit it will need to be diluted down to 40% with water first..

You mean no more than 40% abv man. Any higher and its an explosion waiting to happen.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:23 am

I've done it mate, just pour it all back in and water down to make sure the boiler won't dry out (noting that the t500 doesn't have exposed elements)
It doesn't matter if you end up at 10%abv it'll still work.
I didn't bother re running the "milk" like essenced bottles incase it gave a burnt flavour.

As for cuts if you remember the guide to cuts, you'll recall that even with a perfect spirit run and tight cuts there will still be some smearing of heads and tails through your hearts.
I would still do cuts and you should get a jar or two of heads out, making your hearts even purer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby EziTasting » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 am

Haha unfortunately I've done it more than a few times!

Made some questionable 'spiced rum', some very very average 'G-Droppers' so I've just chucked them back into the next spirit run!

Goes without saying that you then follow the instructions on how to run a spirit run... ! But it's a great safe-guard against shitty spirits! :laughing-rolling: we are, after all, looking for quality!

Some have even suggested that low wines below 40% bring out a better spirit at the end... although I can not prove that, nor that I'm certain I've experienced it conscientiously...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:04 am

EziTasting wrote:Some have even suggested that low wines below 40% bring out a better spirit at the end... although I can not prove that, nor that I'm certain I've experienced it conscientiously...

Apparently low wines below 40% will help with extracting more and cleaner alcohol, I've read that from a few different sources, not sure how it would affect us on a hobby scale though. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Doubleuj on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby SUDS » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks one and all. Funny thing Ezi mine was caused by a dodgy spiced rum. Shouldn't have departed from my own tried and proven but at least it is salvageable. :oops:
SUDS

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Plumby wrote:
copperhead road wrote:I have not even done my first run yet but from what I have learnt though this forum any spirit run must be done with stripped low wines no less than 40% alcohol (for safety reasons) so one would assume to rerun a spirit it will need to be diluted down to 40% with water first..

You mean no more than 40% abv man. Any higher and its an explosion waiting to happen.

So 40% ABV is not 40% on the alcoholmeter? If that is not correct how do you work out 40% ABV?
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 pm

copperhead 40 on the alcoholmeter is 40% abv. Never exceed 40%abv, the liquid you fill it with, in the still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Copie that, I realise now I did typo on first reply saying (no less than)
I meant no more than.
copperhead road

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Temp adjust as well for alcometers
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby prawnz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Temp adjust as well for alcometers

just on that , what difference would say 5deg make in a reading for instance ?
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:16 pm

bluc
Site Donor

Postby azzman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:24 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
EziTasting wrote:Some have even suggested that low wines below 40% bring out a better spirit at the end... although I can not prove that, nor that I'm certain I've experienced it conscientiously...

Apparently low wines below 40% will help with extracting more and cleaner alcohol, I've read that from a few different sources, not sure how it would affect us on a hobby scale though. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

ive found a high starting ABV of 40% and a decently tall packed/plated column run slow and steady makes a good drop. some commercial boys use low wines at 50%ABV and up
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:27 pm

50% ABV is 100 proof and flammable, not a good idea to be boiling a flammable liquid :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Reflux Stills