Time for an upgrade

Reflux still design and discussion

Time for an upgrade

Postby Fireplace01 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:53 pm

After a bit of advice folks,
I have just about got my trade sorted on a copperhead reflux 25l boiler setup
Thinking it will be time for a step up soon problem is the qty 25l boiler gives off
The 4 or so bottles I get just isn't enough for my habit let alone the other half or mates
So the question is do I build a 3" boka or save up for a fangdangled flute
I know pros and cons each way
But this is a big first world problem
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Re: Time for an upgrade

Postby bluc » Tue May 30, 2017 1:22 pm

If your liking the hobby and want to continue and you can afford it go the flute/bubbler. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Then you can make any drink you like..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Tue May 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Why not mount the still you have on a beer keg, instant volume upgrade and minimal outlay.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Swedish Pride » Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Plumby wrote:Why not mount the still you have on a beer keg, instant volume upgrade and minimal outlay.

:text-+1:
sage advice there.

just bear in mind that your run time will be twice what it is now, if you're happy with that a keg is the sollution.
if not then a boka if you only want neutral or a plater if you want flavoured stuff+ packed column if you want neutral as well.
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:
Plumby wrote:Why not mount the still you have on a beer keg, instant volume upgrade and minimal outlay.

sage advice there.

just bear in mind that your run time will be twice what it is now, if you're happy with that a keg is the sollution.
if not then a boka if you only want neutral or a plater if you want flavoured stuff+ packed column if you want neutral as well.

Or salad bowls, eh Swep? :smile:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby hillzabilly » Tue May 30, 2017 5:58 pm

A boka is a one trick pony as is the copper head reflux,if I was back were you are I would stick with the one ya have and save for a 4plate bubbler then add another plate and packed section ta give you a kit that will do it all,the modular still is king in my world,I tried a few other stills but now those gather dust and my 5star outfit gets worked hard in every configuration,as for boilers if ya have bigger needs with ya mates ,pooling resources and cash may help but I would go for 80-100lt,and yes size does matter when ya start doing 200lt ferments,and don't forget to keep SWMBO happy and on side as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Plumby » Tue May 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Necessity is the mother of all invention Woodsy.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Plumby wrote:Necessity is the mother of all invention Woodsy.

Indeed mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I just love stirring him :smile:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Professor Green » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 pm

hillzabilly wrote:A boka is a one trick pony as is the copper head reflux,if I was back were you are I would stick with the one ya have and save for a 4plate bubbler then add another plate and packed section ta give you a kit that will do it all,the modular still is king in my world,I tried a few other stills but now those gather dust and my 5star outfit gets worked hard in every configuration,as for boilers if ya have bigger needs with ya mates ,pooling resources and cash may help but I would go for 80-100lt,and yes size does matter when ya start doing 200lt ferments,and don't forget to keep SWMBO happy and on side as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If cash is tight, you can build your modular still up a piece at a time as you can afford to do so.

This is pretty much the way I built my Neutraliser:
100 litre Milk can + 4"pot first up - use this for stripping runs and use your existing 25l boiler/reflux for neutral spirit runs. You can also use this for making rum and whisky should the desire take you.
Then add plate sections one or two at a time as funds allow.
Next grab a reflux condenser. (At this point you have an Eliminator and a top notch set-up for rum and whisky)
Lastly, add the packed section and you've got yourself an a-grade versatile bit of kit that will serve you well for both neutral and flavoured spirits.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby copperhead road » Tue May 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Professor Green wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:A boka is a one trick pony as is the copper head reflux,if I was back were you are I would stick with the one ya have and save for a 4plate bubbler then add another plate and packed section ta give you a kit that will do it all,the modular still is king in my world,I tried a few other stills but now those gather dust and my 5star outfit gets worked hard in every configuration,as for boilers if ya have bigger needs with ya mates ,pooling resources and cash may help but I would go for 80-100lt,and yes size does matter when ya start doing 200lt ferments,and don't forget to keep SWMBO happy and on side as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If cash is tight, you can build your modular still up a piece at a time as you can afford to do so.

This is pretty much the way I built my Neutraliser:
100 litre Milk can + 4"pot first up - use this for stripping runs and use your existing 25l boiler/reflux for neutral spirit runs. You can also use this for making rum and whisky should the desire take you.
Then add plate sections one or two at a time as funds allow. Good little write up professor, I often wondered the difference with the FSD still heads and you have explained them nice and simple so novice nobs like myself understand :dance:
Next grab a reflux condenser. (At this point you have an Eliminator and a top notch set-up for rum and whisky)
Lastly, add the packed section and you've got yourself an a-grade versatile bit of kit that will serve you well for both neutral and flavoured spirits.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:
Plumby wrote:Necessity is the mother of all invention Woodsy.

Indeed mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I just love stirring him :smile:

you'd have to wine me and dine me before you get to stir me :O)
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby Fireplace01 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:38 am

Sweet never realized I can put my colum on a bigger boiler
Sounds the way to go, save up and head towards a bubbler
Fireplace01

equipment: Copperhead reflux
2" pot still
3" stripping pot build

Return to Reflux Stills