3" VM - advice before I solder in the centring rings

Reflux still design and discussion

Postby jamjar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:46 pm

I have got all my plates drilled and down pipes soldered in, just want to run the build past you before I solder the plates to the bottom of each section.

I am going to use 3 x reflux centring rings - 2 of them will be in the form of perf plates draining on to the packing below, the bottom one will just be a concaved plate with large holes in it.

The bottom of the column will be a 600mm section of 4" with 2 perf plates to act as 2 large Reservoirs to feed the 3" section.

Any bad ideas jumping out at you before I solder it up??

(trying the 4" product condenser, if it does not work I will do a coil)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Re: 3" VM - advice before I solder in the centring rings

Postby maheel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:20 pm

what holds the centering rings in and how do you get the packing in or out around them ?

i like the idea of the perf plates in the bottom.. interesting and a bit like Fester's bubble ball thing ?
maheel

Re: 3" VM - advice before I solder in the centring rings

Postby jamjar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:51 pm

I use T-Bolt Heavy Duty Hose Clamps — Full Stainless Steel to hold my sections together, have been doing it on my bubbler with no problems or leaks.
So I will be soldering the plates on each section, so it allows me to put in the packing as needed.

Heaps of places sell them - http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKP ... &P=7761150
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby Rumdrinker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:50 am

Hi jamjar,
Did you end up completing this build? Was it to the original design specs?
How does it perform?
The 4" section with plates & centering rings are very interesting, some feedback on their performance would be great.
Cheers
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Return to Reflux Stills