Bigger Boiler

Reflux still design and discussion

Bigger Boiler

Postby Gundy » Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Not sure if my question is in the right spot...

Im a newbie and relatively newbie to Distilling.

Ive been using a Pure Still on 25lt boiler, and have access to Turbo 500.

If I use a keg as boiler with elements...can i use my standard pure still or the t500?

Cheers
Gundy
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 pm
Location: Hunter Valley NSW
equipment: Pure still Just reflux, making neutral using Birdwatchers TPW than flavouring.
Update. have 2 pure stills and a newer turbo still. doing 200l washes. doing decent cuts and slowly getting the knack.

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby bluc » Fri May 18, 2018 4:11 pm

What sort fitting on pure reflux and pot still? If its a standard 2" ferrule will be all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
 
Posts: 7491
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby skurvy84 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:38 am

I havent found anything as yet that will directly attach without some modification to the pure distilling unit. Easiest option I've found is going to be removing the lowerbrass nut and thread and soldering on a 2inch ferrule adapter thingo.

Also the 2inch on a keg boiler doing spirit runs will take forever.
skurvy84
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:04 pm
Location: Relocated from S.A to W.A
equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:14 am

skurvy84 wrote:I havent found anything as yet that will directly attach without some modification to the pure distilling unit. Easiest option I've found is going to be removing the lowerbrass nut and thread and soldering on a 2inch ferrule adapter thingo.

Also the 2inch on a keg boiler doing spirit runs will take forever.



Gudday Skurvy,
theres a plethora of posts about the T500, I believe it has its own section even... I've never owned one so am of little use, but I'd encourage you to have a look as, what your going thru, has been done by many a previous member! I remember a post about just this topic ... just been a while so am not finding it, sorry.

As for a 2" being slow, well that depends on you and your expectations! It is the standard starting-off size and many of the long time members are happy with it, but, as with cars, theres no substitute for Cubes! So, 2" = good for starting off and development, 4" = great all-rounder and appropriate hobby size for long term work, 6"+ is considered pro status on this forum.
I have a 4" and love it and I am not yet at a point where I am able to nor willing to invest more $$ into a larger still head.

Keep in mind, the bigger the Still head, the more power you need to throw at it, and potentially, the larger the boiler needs to be in order to make proper use of it! Sorry if I am unwilling to say "You must have this!" but its more of a personal preference... You may not like my set-up, or that of blue or stig or any of the others ...
EziTasting
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: FNWA
equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby warramungas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

I've never heard someone here say they wish they had a smaller boiler.
It may take longer to do a larger run but not as long as filling, running, emptying and repeat multiple times.
I have a 4" but am saving for a 6". I only got the 4" as it was a bargain but will go 6" with my 110 liter boiler when I can.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Can you post a picture of your connection? Members might be able to offer a suggestion of how to attach it to a 2" ferrule on the keg.
Last edited by warramungas on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
warramungas
 
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Location: Nor Perth
equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:30 am

From what I've seen, most of those HBS stills use a threaded insert to connect to the lid of the boiler. 5 Star sold (and presumably will again when they're back up and running) an adapter that has a 2" TC connection at one end and is threaded at the other to screw into the bottom of those units allowing them to connect to a keg or other 2" still mount.
Professor Green
Mentor
 
Posts: 2215
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm
Location: Victoria
equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby The Stig » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 am

Personally I would think that a keg with even a 2400 watt element would over power a T500 column unless you could turn down the power.
A T500 cant even hold full reflux with its 2000 watts
Not to mention its going to be running for 10 to 12 hours.
The Stig
Site Nerd
 
Posts: 9176
Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am
equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby warramungas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Would stick to the pure still if you have a choice. I presume its the short copper one I see at home brew shops.
warramungas
 
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Location: Nor Perth
equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby RC Al » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:05 pm

I would be very surprised if the threaded bit isn't a standard BSP size, take the nut into a plumbing or fasteners shop to find out what one
RC Al
Mentor
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:58 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Area
equipment: Old SS Reflux
2" Potty on 50l keg Uber burner

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby RC Al » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Lols, so where I was going with that is that you can then get that size BSP to 2" triclamp adapter, they are used for heating elements often. :teasing-tease:
RC Al
Mentor
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:58 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Area
equipment: Old SS Reflux
2" Potty on 50l keg Uber burner

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby Plumby » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:19 pm

The Stig wrote:Personally I would think that a keg with even a 2400 watt element would over power a T500 column unless you could turn down the power.
A T500 cant even hold full reflux with its 2000 watts
Not to mention its going to be running for 10 to 12 hours.

Good way too fill in a Saturday though :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Plumby
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 am
Location: South East Queensland
equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby skurvy84 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:52 am

EziTasting wrote:
skurvy84 wrote:I havent found anything as yet that will directly attach without some modification to the pure distilling unit. Easiest option I've found is going to be removing the lowerbrass nut and thread and soldering on a 2inch ferrule adapter thingo.

Also the 2inch on a keg boiler doing spirit runs will take forever.



Gudday Skurvy,
theres a plethora of posts about the T500, I believe it has its own section even... I've never owned one so am of little use, but I'd encourage you to have a look as, what your going thru, has been done by many a previous member! I remember a post about just this topic ... just been a while so am not finding it, sorry.

As for a 2" being slow, well that depends on you and your expectations! It is the standard starting-off size and many of the long time members are happy with it, but, as with cars, theres no substitute for Cubes! So, 2" = good for starting off and development, 4" = great all-rounder and appropriate hobby size for long term work, 6"+ is considered pro status on this forum.
I have a 4" and love it and I am not yet at a point where I am able to nor willing to invest more $$ into a larger still head.

Keep in mind, the bigger the Still head, the more power you need to throw at it, and potentially, the larger the boiler needs to be in order to make proper use of it! Sorry if I am unwilling to say "You must have this!" but its more of a personal preference... You may not like my set-up, or that of blue or stig or any of the others ...


From his avatar panel and his question he owns a pure distilling reflux, not the still spirits t500. I also own a pure distilling reflux, i have contacted both 5star and "unwanted advertiser"who said their wasn't anything available, been to plumbing supplies stores and asked if theres some kind of adaptor that will thread onto the base of the still and either into the neck of the keg using the the existing threaded section or clamp to the keg. Only way if found so far is mentioned above.

An 25l ffv spirit run on the pure distilling boiler takes approx 5ish hrs excluding heat time if memory serves me right. If he wants to have that column to a 50l keg doing spirit runs of low wines its looking at 15 hours being conservative, with single 50l washes of tpw its going to take longer.

Never said anything about not liking anyones setup, i could care less what you or anyone else have. I own the same unit, been down the same thought path and based on the maths, power, time and investment its not feasible to me. BUT it very well maybe be for others.
skurvy84
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:04 pm
Location: Relocated from S.A to W.A
equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:40 am

Getting back to Gundy’s original post which mentions both Pure and T500: it looks like running the Pure unit on a keg is not viable due to there being no TC adapter available for it and running the T500 on a keg, whilst possible, will be really slow.

So Gundy, what were you hoping to achieve by going for a bigger boiler? Are you looking for an upgrade path to a bigger still or to just do bigger runs than your current boiler will allow?
Professor Green
Mentor
 
Posts: 2215
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm
Location: Victoria
equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Re: Bigger Boiler

Postby Gundy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I had minor shoulder surgery which turned out to be more than minor and was laid up for 3 months and haven't done a thing about getting anything done on this...or the new shed or the fences or the motorbike repairs....

I value everyones input and it never dawned on me that a 50l boiler would take 15hours.

Was hoping to make process quicker.

Currently have solar going back into grid and getting ripped off by Elec supplier. So doing the runs during the day costs bugger all in electricity.

At present running 2 pure stills and the t500 at the same time. with a water pump and manifold, all with separate taps and recirculating the water. Will be sticking with this until i get a better understanding of the pros and cons.

Am currently educating myself on stripping runs..

So much to learn so much to learn

Apologies once again for not getting back on here.
Gundy
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 pm
Location: Hunter Valley NSW
equipment: Pure still Just reflux, making neutral using Birdwatchers TPW than flavouring.
Update. have 2 pure stills and a newer turbo still. doing 200l washes. doing decent cuts and slowly getting the knack.


Return to Reflux Stills



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

x