FSD 2" Boka

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: FSD 2" Boka

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:07 am

Hey guys

I used my Boka for the first time yesterday, doing the sacrificial run with a 25L TFFV wash.

Does the water flow speed matter? I'm using an Ozito 350w pump in my underground water tank to circulate the water but obviously can't control the speed. The output water seemed cool but was coming out fairly slow. The only modification I can make is to shorten the hose length and set up closer to the tank, that will only be a couple of metres closer though.

Cheers
tjx2

equipment: FSD Boka 2" Boka
FSD 2" Pot

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:08 am

When you are pushing water through the small rc coil you may want to put a relief tee back into the tank to relieve some of the back pressure on the pump .

As long as no steam out top your good to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Carol » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:13 am

I used a t-piece when I ran the pump for my boka in the swimming pool. There might be a photo on the thread somewhere.

Cheers
carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:31 am

bluc wrote:When you are pushing water through the small rc coil you may want to put a relief tee back into the tank to relieve some of the back pressure on the pump .

As long as no steam out top your good to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks bluc. There was no steam. If anything, I was worried it was pumping through fast enough.
tjx2

FSD 2" Pot

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:33 am

Carol wrote:I used a t-piece when I ran the pump for my boka in the swimming pool. There might be a photo on the thread somewhere.

Cheers
carol

Thanks Carol. I'll take a look at your photos earlier on in thre thread.
tjx2

FSD 2" Pot

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:50 am

Carol wrote:I used a t-piece when I ran the pump for my boka in the swimming pool. There might be a photo on the thread somewhere.

Cheers
carol

I found the photo Carol. So you are restricting the water flow by opening both outlets? Did you find the water flow too high without the t-piece?
I am pumpimg the water a greater distance than you, probably an extra 5m.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tjx2 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjx2

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Carol » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:18 pm

I thought it would be too much for the coil when I saw how strongly it pumped the water. I tested it in the pool before I hooked it up to the still. Even with the t-piece it pumped quite strongly. The pump sat on the bottom of the pool (shallow end) and the t-piece was angled up so I could see the ripples on the water - visual check that pump was running. If I angled it imore steeply it made a small fountain. So even with the t-piece there was a lot of pressure.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:30 pm

Carol wrote:I thought it would be too much for the coil when I saw how strongly it pumped the water. I tested it in the pool before I hooked it up to the still. Even with the t-piece it pumped quite strongly. The pump sat on the bottom of the pool (shallow end) and the t-piece was angled up so I could see the ripples on the water - visual check that pump was running. If I angled it imore steeply it made a small fountain. So even with the t-piece there was a lot of pressure.

Thanks Carol. My water tank is underground, so the pump is pumping about 2m directly up, then another 5m to get to the still. I'll do some testing. How would you know if its pumping too hard foe the coil though?
tjx2

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Carol » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:01 pm

I just guesstimated. There was a table that showed the pump strength over distance and possibly hose diameter - on the box.. Forum guys suggested t-piece in my situation so I did that. Pool was about 1.2m deep plus height of boka.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:55 pm

Carol wrote:I just guesstimated. There was a table that showed the pump strength over distance and possibly hose diameter - on the box.. Forum guys suggested t-piece in my situation so I did that. Pool was about 1.2m deep plus height of boka.

This is the flow rate table from the box. Mine has to travel up at least 2m plus the height of the boka.
What is the suggested flow rate for the boka?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjx2

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Carol » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:04 pm

Dk suggested flow rate for boka.
I guesstimated that in my pool situation - if 3000l per hour then 50 litres per minute ( 8 litres per second) would have to go through a narrow diameter coil- did not look like the pump would be happy!

I am not a technical whizz by any stretch of the imagination - so tried the t-piece and it seemed to work fine. I could see what was coming out of the exit hose from the boka (gentle steady flow) and see the ripples from the t-piece - much stronger flow - so seemed to adjust itself .

Maybe just test it and see what happens.
My pot still configuraion (with t-piece) had a lot more exit flow than the boka.

Both configurations worked fine. Perhaps the boffins can help with the detail.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:19 pm

Carol wrote:Dk suggested flow rate for boka.
I guesstimated that in my pool situation - if 3000l per hour then 50 litres per minute ( 8 litres per second) would have to go through a narrow diameter coil- did not look like the pump would be happy!

I am not a technical whizz by any stretch of the imagination - so tried the t-piece and it seemed to work fine. I could see what was coming out of the exit hose from the boka (gentle steady flow) and see the ripples from the t-piece - much stronger flow - so seemed to adjust itself .

Maybe just test it and see what happens.
My pot still configuraion (with t-piece) had a lot more exit flow than the boka.

Both configurations worked fine. Perhaps the boffins can help with the detail.

Cheers
Carol

Thanks for all your help Carol. Much appreciated. I'll do some flow rate testing.
tjx2

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Bustah » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:17 am

When i attached hose fittings to my 350W ozito pump i was only getting 2L/minute flow rate which was definitely not enough, ended up upgrading to a 750W ryobi which i honestly haven't tried yet (been using the shower water like a naughty)
Bustah
Site Donor

equipment: Planning on purchasing a t500 boiler, 5Star 2" boka and pot

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills