Using reflux still for flavor ?

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Using reflux still for flavor ?

Postby Psykamaholik » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 am

I can fit 3 copper scourers into the column, so I could take one out, leave one stuffed right up near the top and keep the other one at the bottom leaving a bit of a gap between.

First I'll need to mod another fridge or 2 for brewing so I can keep the TPW going while I experiment ;)
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby JamieC » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Ran 40L CFW through 500mm high copper reflux with packing removed completely last night. Was a pig of a thing to stabilize, mainly due to fluctuating water pressure. Will be getting a 13mm reg to fix that. But although it took me 4.5 hrs for 40L wash flavour was nice and definitely carried through. 65% ABV for first 4 litres then went down hill from there. Collected 5.5L and switched it off. First gen, so will fix the water pressure problem before I put the 500mm extension in the column. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Postby Stilldrinking » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:43 pm

My preferred flavoured spirit is made from a reflux still.
Technically it's probably a vodka.

I Usually run at 92% - 94% and it carries a nice flavour across.
(It has loads more flavour run at 80%)

Basically a sugar wash with grain. Ujsm style.
I use 2 parts corn, 1 part wheat, 1 part barley (sometimes throw some rye in)
Lager yeast sometime even Ec1118.

one run on a lm/vm
Pull the heads out on the LM
Run the VM wide open.

I air, cut, oak and enjoy.
It's a clean spirit with a nice subtle flavour.
Even great out of still.

Flavour starts in the wash.

Even at 94% flavours carry over with one run.

Pot stilled, aired, cut well, Oaked and aged it's a beautiful drop in my opinion
Also
Stilldrinking

equipment: LM/VM Pot + keg boiler

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:30 pm

I started out building a nixon stone desighn and flavouring neutral,but wanted to get away from essence after a time ,tried useing it for flavour but was never happy with the results,the length was awkward and adjustments were tricky wich made consistent results difficult,wich is about the time I came to Aussie Distiller.Macs modula desighn inspired me as it gave rise to the possibility of haveing one still that could give me fine neutral and plenty of flavour with the benefit of quicker production and ease of operation ,I couldnot deny the fact that distillers across the globe were useing bubble plates for quality flavoured spirits and packed columns for neutral spirits,but I had to put a little of my own spin into the desighn,I liked the simplicity and ease of operation of the LM desighn,so built a LM head to go on top wich combines the reflux condencer and product condencer with a parrot that is water cooled,the cost was more than one still but the results in both departments have been nothing short of awsome (a term I rarely use) production time in both area's has been cut by about a third and quality is better with great consistency.And just ta confuse the issue I have just built a thumper that has only made my outcomes even better in time and quality,she (the southern cross) is pumping out over 4.5lt/hr of super quality with 36oowts from an 18gal boiler and 5gal thumper.just my 2cents worth.cheers for the inspiration Mac feel free ta post the pic ya took in the shop.hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby WTDist » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:34 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I started out building a nixon stone desighn and flavouring neutral,but wanted to get away from essence after a time ,tried useing it for flavour but was never happy with the results,the length was awkward and adjustments were tricky wich made consistent results difficult,wich is about the time I came to Aussie Distiller.Macs modula desighn inspired me as it gave rise to the possibility of haveing one still that could give me fine neutral and plenty of flavour with the benefit of quicker production and ease of operation ,I couldnot deny the fact that distillers across the globe were useing bubble plates for quality flavoured spirits and packed columns for neutral spirits,but I had to put a little of my own spin into the desighn,I liked the simplicity and ease of operation of the LM desighn,so built a LM head to go on top wich combines the reflux condencer and product condencer with a parrot that is water cooled,the cost was more than one still but the results in both departments have been nothing short of awsome (a term I rarely use) production time in both area's has been cut by about a third and quality is better with great consistency.And just ta confuse the issue I have just built a thumper that has only made my outcomes even better in time and quality,she (the southern cross) is pumping out over 4.5lt/hr of super quality with 36oowts from an 18gal boiler and 5gal thumper.just my 2cents worth.cheers for the inspiration Mac feel free ta post the pic ya took in the shop.hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Damn man nice, have you got a pic or 2 of this rig, interested to see what you men by using the lm on the bubbler
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby JamieC » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 pm

I would love to see some pics of this rig too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills