Still build with pics

Reflux still design and discussion

Still build with pics

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm

OK I have been saying I am going to post pics for ages so I thought I had better do it, I also need to build a few more stills so this may get me doing something and motivate me a bit.

bits (676 x 449).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Re: Still build with pics

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Pics are out of sequence sorry about that,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Ok next template is the wrap around for the condensor arm, makes it a lot easier to fit to the main column and saves a lot of time.
reknaw

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:06 pm

template on condensor arm, marked to give 10 degree offset and then pipe marked with texter and ready to cut. When marked it doesn't have to be perfect you are going to have to grind and fit it once you make the initial cuts and take off the majority of the metal. I'll take pics of it, you don't want more than about 1/2 mm at any point when it's TIGed up.
marked to be cut (676 x 449).jpg
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey spud how long is optimal for the condenser arm ?

The more I see of these rigs the more I like them :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Condensor arm is 38 cm - 40 cm for a 2 inch column with a 6 inch condensor, I have that 15 inch condensor which I am going to use for a 3 inch column with a 2 inch condensor arm. Not sure of the length I'll go with on that one yet I need to sit down with a tape measure and work it out.

I love the condensor controlled still, really easy to use, no needle valve and it'll pull 95% all day.

A five year old could run one and get 95% - with adult supervision of course :)

I'll see if I can get it cut and fitted tomorrow and then I might be able to finish it on Sunday. I'll post pics of each step, I'll get some packing on the weekend from Big W too.
reknaw

Postby rumby » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:18 am

I was fortunate enough to get spud to built me one of these stills and a five year old can run one, (even now I have troubles, nah). Pulls 95% eveytime, I still havent posted any pictures of mine yet, having dramas downloading the photos (simpleton). For anyone out there, reading this and is thinking of changing toys, in my little experience, it is very user friendly and a good rig.
Spud keeps threatening to built a pot still, the materials are sitting there in his garage collecting dust, I wish he would hurry up (because I am hoping he might build me one).
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby rumby » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 am

Spud, your toes could do with a cut!
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby reknaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:44 am

Rumby,

I'll trim the toenails :)

Yeah I am a big fan of the design, a fella by the name of Manu (board user name) from Vietnam came up with the design.

I have a potstill in 3 inch cut up in the garage ready to weld that is for me, same design as the one in the photo but about 33 cm long and the collection cup is going to be about an inch off the column as I don't want any reflux. I also want to do one in 2.5 inch and 3 inch, I have the fitting and the stainless there as McStill has said in the past 2 inch is slow, 3 inch would be awsome :)

I need to get off my arse and cut up a half a dozen stills, get them all fitted and ready to weld, make them and stick them in the garage.

I move house in a couple of weeks so I should do it before I move - I probably won't though. :oops:

I'll cut and fit the one in the pic this afternoon, I should be finishing work early.
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 pm

rumby wrote:Spud, your toes could do with a cut!

No wonder the prick is bald, all his hair growing on his toes :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Don't listen to them Frodo,
your doing a great job with the post!
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:21 am

Hey Spud those templates look handy, I think I'm going to try that method for flush mounting my sight glasses.

If you could share where you get them from that would be awesome, I'm guessing you can download them somewhere?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am

Yeah very good tool, saves lots of time

Can be found here:

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

There is also one that you can get but is more advanced and it costs you to download it. I wouldn't mind it but I'm not handing over the cash they want for it.

I didn't run the still yesterday or cut anything up, I went "shopping" with the wife yesterday afternoon, out for hours bought nothing.

I'll cut up on Sunday and post.
reknaw

Postby reknaw » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Ok I know this has been dragging on for ages, lots happening at the moment.

First photo is when it's been cleaned up, just need to check it on the column for fit. This doesn't have to be perfect as I use filler wire, if you are fusing you would need to have a nice tight fit. Any gap up to say .5mm is fine. Hole is drilled in the condensor arm, offtake cup was done previously.

Second photo was the initial cut with the cutting disc, leave heaps of beef on the cut (less chance of going to deep and having to remark and do it again.

I'll take a photo of it layed out just before it's welded and then as it's being welded.

Easy still to make and runs very well.
ready to fit (676 x 449).jpg
reknaw

Return to Reflux Stills