3" column 2" tee and PC CCVM

Reflux still design and discussion

3" column 2" tee and PC CCVM

Postby Rumblepants » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi Guys,

Looking to speed up my relfux runs with my 2 inch CCVM still.

Would replacing the 2 inch column piece (1 metre in length) with a 3 inch column speed up the runs much?

Cheers
Rumble
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Re: 3" column 2" tee and PC CCVM

Postby RC Al » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Yes, this will work. The ccvm head dose the vapour split based on the pipe sizing at the branch, the column underneath could be any diameter in that respect, provided the condenser is up to providing enough reflux.

With the 3", If you run at the same power level as the 2", you will get a slightly more pure product, when you add more power, you will loose that purity bump and it will run faster. This is all at the same reflux rate, the other option with the 3" is to keep the power the same and reflux less. You would have to drive the still a bit to see how you like it either way

In either instance more height will help, the 2" can run faster if there is only 1m of packing there now, another 60cm or so would make a dramatic difference - you end up needing less reflux to get up to the same abv, freeing up vapour to be turned into product - speed
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Rumblepants » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:18 am

Thanks for the advice RC Al. I have an extra 60CM length I could add on. It's left over from the building process. The problem I have is that the space (my Garage) doesn't allow for the height.

I could run it in my backyard, a sheltered courtyard. Hmmmm.
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby icewind » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:07 pm

i have a 1.4m packed section, vm column, on top of a 50l keg boiler that just fits my normal height 2.4m ceiling. Works great for me.

I guess having ccvm you have the t at a slight angle? You still should fit another 20-30cm or so, still worth it IMO. AFAIK, going past 1.5m packed section is going to provide diminishing returns anyway for neutral.
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

Return to Reflux Stills