Modified/Macguyvered T500

Reflux still design and discussion

Modified/Macguyvered T500

Postby Monkey Handler » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:28 pm

Hey all,

So, a while back the inevitable happened, my T500 shit itself and developed a product leak right at that plastic mount(bottom one). So I got sent a new one under warranty, then I thought seeing I had one spare I'd gut the old one and try modifying it, as it's probably a matter of time til the new one gives up the ghost too. Part of me was surprised and part of me wasn't at how, half arsed these things are built.

Anywho, had some leftover bits from my pot build, so I stripped off all the plastic bits.
Ended up drilling a 6.5mm hole in the top of a 2" endcap for the coil condenser intake and a 15mm to accomodate a new vapour outlet, which was a 1" copper 90, silver soldered to a bit of 1", which again was soldered onto the product inlet of the standard T500 PC. Where the plastic lower mount was, I wire brushed all the silicone off the bolt and cleaned it up a bit and silver soldered the bolt in place too. Eventually I may get rid of it, just ran out of time (ribs on the smoker were ready :-D ). All has leak tested fine, except for one little S.O.B I thought I may have issues with. The right angle water outlet fitting coming from the inner coil condenser (pics will be included).
Now, I'm suspecting there's more silicone in there (can't see it at all, given the build, wouldn't surprise me either), any thoughts on how to deal with it? Ideally, I'd like to keep that condenser as is, but, it WILL be a product/vapour leak, so I need to deal with it. Should I burn out the silicone and silver solder it up? Or somehow try to gut it and, well, Macguyver something up?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Death threats?
(Also, I don't HAVE to use it, I just thought why not, buy me some time til I move onto another reflux, getting copper pipe of most common sizes is no issue for me)
Also suspect that the T500 PC is jammed with silicone/rubber bits as well, I don't expect it to have decent joins in it, so may deal with that eventually too, but no need at the moment.
EDIT:
Also, it is a work in progress, so it still needs to be cleaned up etc, and may yet be scrapped as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Monkey Handler on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monkey Handler

equipment: T500 copper reflux. 2" Pelican Pot, 4" 5 plate glasser, 500mm packed section with all copper goodies.
30L and 58L keg boiler

Re: Modified/Macguyvered T500

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:36 pm

Mate it does look like you have the copper virus and buy the way it is uncureable :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: Now get that hopeless contraption going and just give it away to some sucker and get on and build a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft: Like i say that copper bug does bite and they way you are going it won't take too long before your totally addicted :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Expect to see some effort on bubbler soon guy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Monkey Handler » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Definitely have my sights set on a bubbler. As for building one, I think I'd be confusing my ambitions with my capabilities :-D
Next build, if I don't just buy a bubbler, may be either a 4 or 6" boka :think:
Monkey Handler

equipment: T500 copper reflux. 2" Pelican Pot, 4" 5 plate glasser, 500mm packed section with all copper goodies.
30L and 58L keg boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:25 pm

mate just take a look at all the builds on this site and I'm sure you will get a good picture on how to build one. Now don't forget we are a great bunch and will give advise on the best way to go so get that thinking cap on and get some research done. You will never look back once you build a modular bubbler as most of us have already found out.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Reflux Stills