coffee urns to pot for reflux still

Reflux still design and discussion

coffee urns to pot for reflux still

Postby amaizing » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 pm

gday

ive got two 15 litre ss coffee urn in the cupboard that i want to turn into one 25 litre pot. the thing is im not sure the elements are suitable/powerful enough for distilling, there are two elements in the bottom of the urns, i also have doubts concerning the brass fittings on the elements?
any help would be much appreicated as im keen to retire the 5 litre pot ive currently got in service.
amaizing

equipment: 5 litre pot

Re: coffee urns to pot for reflux still

Postby stubbydrainer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 pm

an easy way to triple your boiler size is to .....just use one :laughing-rolling: , I reckon it would be easier than trying to join two together,
as for the brass, I don't like it anywhere except water lines, but being in a low ABV zone and the brass being in a food utensil, I can only assume that it would be low lead content , it would probably be OK :think: :? But I would change them out when /if they fail
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby amaizing » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 pm

thanks cobba but i talked to my old man about it turns out he had a unused keg all along.
woulda been handy to know 6 months ago :angry-banghead: im just gonna scrap the urns and run with the keg :handgestures-thumbupleft:
amaizing

equipment: 5 litre pot

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 pm

overall, that's the better way to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Return to Reflux Stills