Another new still... And a few questions

Reflux still design and discussion

Another new still... And a few questions

Postby stilllearning » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now, finally decided to sign up and get serious about building my first reflux still.
I started looking at building a still a few years back when my mate showed me his internal reflux still, but I just got busy with other shit and never got around to actually building my own. Wasn't until recently that I watched the "Moonshiners" TV series and got all fired up again to build a still. I've been reading a heap of information about reflux stills including The Compleat Distiller and lots of threads on this site, and now that I'm getting close to starting my build I just have a few specific questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer...

1. I'm thinking that either the valved reflux design from moonshine-still.com or the vapor management still in appendix 6 of the compleat distiller are the designs I'd like to go with. How do the two compare?

2. For a boiler, should I go with the Turbo 500 boiler or the Essencia 25L/3kW model? Can I use the Essencia boiler running on both elements for a fast boil up and then turn one element off for the rest of the run? Or am I just better using the T500 on its single element for the entire time?

3. Column diameter - I had 2" in mind but I see a lot of you say they take a bit too long to run, so maybe I should go up to a 3"?

4. Thermometer. I've been looking everywhere on the Internet for a nice dial thermometer for the top of my column, I prefer the look of them over a glass thermometer or a digital thermometer. The closest I've seen so far was a beer brewers one which had all the beer making temperatures marked on the dial. I was just after a nice simple dial say 0-120 degrees, maybe in a brass housing? Any ideas?

Most of the parts I need I have already found/priced so once I decide on these couple of things I should be set.
Look forward to everyone's thoughts.
stilllearning

equipment: 4" Modular Glass Bubbler

Re: Another new still... And a few questions

Postby MR-E » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:24 am

G'day

My first build was a 2" Infernal Reflux still, If you make one put the return line as far up the column as you can & don't put a valve on there, just on your output.
Also I used a Stillspirits 25ltr boiler with a tri-clamp fitting welded on, sitting there stilling one day & about half way trough the run the column started to look
like the Leaning Tower Of Pisa :shock: :angry-banghead:
The lids on the Stillspirits & Essencia boilers can't support the weight of a tall column, so you might wan't to invest in a keg, can't comment on the t-500 boiler.

Good luck with the build
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby crozdog » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:13 am

firstly welcome.

2ndly a boka is simple to make and run. consider it too.

I made a boka 1st, then a pot then a vm. all in 2". sure it would be nice if they ran a bit faster at times, but brewin' & stilin' teaches you patience....

Costs increase with pipe size.

kegs make great boilers with a 2' triclamp being a simple secure way to mount the column.

Don't forget the humble pot. I am so glad i made 1. it not only allows me to make flavoured spirits like rum & whiskey, but also to do stripping runs. wish i'd made it first.
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby bt1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:41 am

Hello bloke and welcome,

Don't forget the humble pot. I am so glad i made 1. it not only allows me to make flavoured spirits like rum & whiskey, but also to do stripping runs. wish i'd made it first.
+1 +1 Especially if you throw in a coil and end up with a Hybrid...fast, easy, low cost..offers both stripping and Low 90% abv max generally well into 80's for runs great for whiskeys...ideal for single runners. Consider costs when carbon tax adds +30% to your power costs.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby law-of-ohms » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:03 am

stilllearning wrote:Wasn't until recently that I watched the "Moonshiners" TV series and got all fired up again to build a still. .

lol I know what thats like.

Brewmaster thermometer looks nice.

Ebay - " Weldless Bi-Metal Thermometer "
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:08 am

you need resolution of .1 degree for a reflux still
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stilllearning » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks everyone for your replies... I'm parked up on the couch recovering from my bucks night last night so I have plenty of time to think about which way I'm going to go.

I did a bit of reading about the boka but for some reason it didn't appeal to me as much as the other designs. I guess I just liked the look of the vapor management design more or something. I'll definitely give the boka another look though cause they sound like they have a lot going for them.

Thanks for the heads up on the thermometer, that's exactly what I wanted. They still have the beer markings on the dial but I suppose if that really annoys me I can carefully open it up and paint over them or something.
stilllearning

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:37 pm

An analogue thermometer will not work.

You need a digital on with point one of a degree resolution in a column.

LittleCahngesMeanALotPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stilllearning » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:02 pm

Ahhh, thanks 5Star, I get what you meant in your post before about the .1 degree now.
I didn't even think about how accurate it needed to be, was getting hung up on the look of the thing.
stilllearning

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 pm

stilllearning wrote:Ahhh, thanks 5Star, I get what you meant in your post before about the .1 degree now.
I didn't even think about how accurate it needed to be, was getting hung up on the look of the thing.

Figured that :laughing-rolling:

Sometimes the ugliest thing will produce better, I know those dial thermos look sweet but 5Star is right about .1 degrees being a big thing in a reflux column.

either VM or LM will serve you well, but those internal reflux columns are just outdated rubbish ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 am

You can buy the thermometers used on the T500's from some homebrew shops........they are digital and are pretty acurate.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crozdog » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 pm

I used one of these on my 1st boka http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC0224 $19.95

simply sealed it int the column with many wraps of plumbers tape around the probe & screwed it in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Return to Reflux Stills