Copper cap T500

Reflux still design and discussion

Copper cap T500

Postby NotBenStiller » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:31 am

I guess this could go into the "In the shed' thread too ...
Behold my crappy metal skillzzz

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

It's gonna be insulated so doesn't matter what it looks like
water and vinegar cleaning runs have produced no leaks - wine cask to go thru it today then back into the real stuff.

So, now that i can run it detuned a bit less concern for plastic - do i leave the coil not hooked up to cooling at all for stripping runs?
Would much heat escape from the open pipe there? Or should i still hook up cooling (i use separate cooling lines for coil and condenser) and have just a tiny bit flowing?
Or maybe plug the pipes ?

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Re: Copper cap T500

Postby Longknife » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 pm

hEY Not Ben S

Thanks for the pics. Gonna have to try that one cob. let me know how it goes with the stripping runs and if you disconnected the coil for it. Do you reckon youd leave it connected for the spirit run??
Longknife

equipment: Ss t500 reflux

Postby NotBenStiller » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 am

I've had the coil connected for stripping runs - with just a trickle of water flow thru it.
i might try it fully unhooked next time - not sure which way would lose less heat (or even if that matters)
Didn't find the stripping run particularly fast - but only tried two so far. I'm guessing there's a limit to what a 2" column can do.

Definitely have it hooked up for spirit run - that's what controls the refluxing in our still.
I've separated the cooling lines between coil and condenser to make it easier - The cooling for the coil has the valves.
The cooling for the condenser just runs water full tilt thru it.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Longknife » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Hey thanks Not BEN STILL
going down hardware and gettin valves tomorrow to separate them. got 60l of wash ready any day now and want to chew them out on reflux and then get your copper top mod done hopefully before heading back to work. might have to do some reading to see how long a molasses for rum or UJSM take to ferment or how long they would sit in a fermenter after finishing without going to shit. If they took 3 weeks to ferment im gone for 5 weeks so would only be there for 2 weeks or so before i can put them through the still. Hah. back to reading and reading some more.
Thanks again cob.
Longknife

equipment: Ss t500 reflux

Postby tgr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:50 pm

gday longknife
you wont have any dramas leaving a wash sit for 5 weeks plus. As long as you sterilise your equipment efficiently
cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tgr

equipment: McStill 2" pot and boka combo

Return to Reflux Stills