An idea for maintaining reflux speed

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: An idea for maintaining reflux speed

Postby LWTCS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:59 pm

The circuitry works just fine....the issue is will it work better than say a well made VM or some such still.
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby crow » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 am

Yes it may or may not . I just wanted to explore how efficiently I could make this LM work . I mean I can achieve azeotrope or near as at 95.5 and could well be 95.63 but towards the end of my hearts the distillation output begins to rapidly slow down and sometime after that the ABV begins to drop . Cool except it has nowhere near depleted the ethanol so that begs the question ,Why . This seems from all reports to be the way most of these stills operate and the only thing I can think that would cause this is the higher temp is effecting the amount of theoretical plates involved in distillate production (drying of packing) . I'm thinking If I can find a way for the whole or most of the column to reflux efficiently this should significantly shorten the operating time and maybe increase the amount of hearts . I could perhaps Increase the amount of hearts by shutting down the outlet and allow the column to regain a full equilibrium but this would be at the expense of time and energy plus at a higher concentration of water ect in the wash may induce puking . I think unless someone can say why this wouldnt work I should maybe try it , shouldn't cost a fortune in parts . Thoughts ppl ? :-D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby LWTCS » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:09 am

Do it for sure.
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby stilly_bugger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm

This guy seems to be using a similar setup on a packed column. Maybe not for the same reason, but he's doing it:

http://youtu.be/_RPuANJkUm0?t=1m22s

The relevant segment of video is 1:22 to 3:00.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby crow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:31 pm

No mate thats the reason he's doing it . LWTC's been quite active on reflux splitting and RLM threads (I've been reading up) . Seems like quite a few guys have come to the same conclusion as me and begun to do some experiments . Seems my plan is not much different from Alex Bokkabob's Reverse Liquid management theory/design but I'm not aware of anyone building it , simple as it is . Anyway I just thought of it as a means to an end but it seems the original designer was already thinking of this from the start except his return comes in 2/3rds up the column (got me fucked why) :?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Anthoney » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:28 pm

croweater wrote: Yes I was wondering if a single plate at the bottom might achieve this

That would be a bubble ball and has worked to do just that for several people now. I'm in the middle of building one myself.
Anthoney

equipment: Building a keg boiler with 7inch bubble ball under a 2" packed column with a 4" head. Just got started so not used it yet as not finished building it.

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills