Another 2" Boka Build

Reflux still design and discussion

Another 2" Boka Build

Postby Bastow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Hows it going everyone?

I have been a home beer brewer for a while now and thought it was time to produce some spirit. So i started researching because i didn't want to spent $500 on a commercially designed still and landed on the Boka design. So i started collecting bits and pieces about a month or so ago with the 2" boka in mind. I had enough bits to finally do something last Friday so i thought i would start. So i did.
Bits and pieces.
ferrules.jpg

I wonder what to do with this thing i found?
found ferrules.jpg

I sized up my coil ( it was already made with help from here ) :handgestures-thumbupleft: , then cut the length for the plates and condenser.
column.jpg

condenser.jpg

I cut the plates with tinsnips from some flattened copper pipe...twice! :angry-banghead:

plates.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bastow

equipment: 2'' Boka on 50lt keg, using Boka head as potstill. Home made voltage controller.

Re: Another 2" Boka Build

Postby Bastow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Then i got out my grinder and cut the slot's in the pipe for the plates....i'll just fill the gaps with solder. :laughing-rolling:
slanted plates.jpg

Ready to solder.
ready.jpg

I'm a sparky not a plumber!!!! 8-}
plates finished.jpg

This is going to be my output setup, i thought a bit more cooling with the longer worm coil couldn't hurt.

output.jpg

This is the output soldered onto the column, but it ended up falling off when i tried to clean up the weld. I have since cut off the flared end and soldered the pipe 'in' the column a bit shorter photos to follow.

output soldered.jpg

I have since done some more work. Including soldering the ferrule to the condenser section, using a coupling, i am waiting for a mate at work to bring his expanders in. The 'device' is now sitting ontop of my keg , quite like the angel on a christmas tree, but is a bit pissed so hopefully when i make my full length column i can get it a bit straighter. I will be back with more piccys.

Cheers, Bastow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bastow

equipment: 2'' Boka on 50lt keg, using Boka head as potstill. Home made voltage controller.

Re: Another 2" Boka Build

Postby Kimbo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 pm

good shit Bastow, keep it up man :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Reflux Stills