Another 2" Slant Bokakob

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Another 2" Slant Bokakob

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:22 pm

hey im in the process of gathering things to make a boka but im just curious why the liebig condensor on the side as well as the coil whats the pros and cons of that as i have no idea behind the reasoning.
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:24 pm

oh is that when it goes into pot still mode the liebig is used
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Its so your output will be cool not hot
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Another 2" Slant Bokakob

Postby ErnieV » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:07 am

Why is normal plumbing solder no good? It's good enough for water coming into my house which I drink.

iPhone Tapatalk
ErnieV

equipment: Building a 2" Boka

Postby mullamulla » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:50 am

Plumbing solder should be fine, just make sure it contains no lead.
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Re: Another 2

Postby Sam. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 pm

ErnieV wrote:Why is normal plumbing solder no good? It's good enough for water coming into my house which I drink.

iPhone Tapatalk

Your water isnt a solvent ;-)

Most plumbers use silver solder anyway so its fine.

But yeah make sure it has no lead in it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ErnieV » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 am

Good stuff, just ordered some Silver solder and I've been to the local metal scrap yard and got enough copper pipe for the whole job for £35.00 UK pounds, that's about $50.00 USD. Result me thinks.
ErnieV

equipment: Building a 2" Boka

Postby karrotbear » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:56 am

Hey Mulla, or anyone who knows,

Where do you get and what are the brass hose connectors and brass fittings called for connecting your condensor? I've been looking for small connections like that but my local bunnings/everywhere is quite dissapointing.

karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby mullamulla » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:37 am

The hose fittings are just standard brass ones from bunnings, I just hacksawed the thread section off them and soldered them on.

The fittings joining the condenser to the bent 1/4" pieces are just 1/4" Compression Fittings, they can be had from Blackwoods or Gas equipment stores etc

Just a reminder for anybody reading this, not directed at anybody but a few people haven't realized

MAKE SURE THE TOP IS NOT SEALED, IT HAS TO BE OPEN AIR

This is what the top should look like if you are using and end cap :handgestures-thumbupleft:
mullamulla

[#########------------]

Postby mullamulla » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Something else that I should point out is that I drilled holes in the braces that connect the Liebig to the column to prevent any kind of pressure change inside the braces.

mullamulla

[#########------------]

Postby bushbrew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Mulla,what a great effort,you shore have got some tallent there,what have your spirit runs been like from this Gem? You have inspired me & Iv'e been collecting bits to build one & using your build & info from this great site as a guide,hope you don't mind a question every so often.I made a parrot to see what my metal work & soldering skills where like & I think I passed..just ;-) anyhow first question,have you only used one heating element? & if so what size & how long did it take to come up to temp.what would be quicker,start heating with a 2 ring gas burner which I allready have, then switch over to electric to do the run,or use 2 elements :? also with the thermo port,doe's the pipe need to be sealed on the end under the plate.
Regards,
Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bushbrew

equipment: 2"slant plate Boka,after I finished building that i could't help myself so built a 2"potstill with leftover bitsl. 50 ltr keg boiler,3600W element,Voltage controler.. Airstill used for early training.

Postby mullamulla » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey Bush, that Parrot looks good :handgestures-thumbupleft: I cheated and bought mine off Mac :mrgreen:

Spirit runs have been excellent (around 95%), I've only got one 2400w element in mine and it runs great once it's up to temperature but getting there is a bit sluggish :)) I haven't really timed it but I think it takes around an hour, a second element would be great to speed this up.

I'm not too sure which would be faster between the 2 ring vs 2 elements but I prefer electric myself for safety reasons.

My Thermoport is open inside the column and I just wrapped a bit of teflon tape around the base of the thermometer probe (near the readout) and jammed it in the pipe.
mullamulla

[#########------------]

Postby bushbrew » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:28 pm

That's great,sounds like it's doing what it's suposed to,you'd have to be happy with that.I agree electric much safer than gas but I thought if I only use the gas with the element till it gets up to temp & then turn it off it might save a bit of time,Ok thanks for the info.
graham.
bushbrew

equipment: 2"slant plate Boka,after I finished building that i could't help myself so built a 2"potstill with leftover bitsl. 50 ltr keg boiler,3600W element,Voltage controler.. Airstill used for early training.

Postby waza » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:02 am

Hey mulla
great work here and inspiring a lot of people, including me. have you used this in pot still mode yet and if so how did it go? :text-thankyoublue:
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby Fatist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Hey could someone tell me where the scrubbers go, and what length they run for? i read that they should be in contact with the distillate condenser. Also, what are the clamp fittings and flanges holding the column together called? I've seen them around, welded on kegs and such. They seem kind of specific to brewing.

CHEERS!
Fatist

equipment: Looking to make or buy a still soon.

Postby Fatist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 pm

wait, i just found out they're 2 inch ferrules and tri clamps. Anyone know where sells them cheap online?

Really great workmanship and design on the Bokakob OP, it looks great.

Cheers!
Fatist

equipment: Looking to make or buy a still soon.

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Fatist wrote:wait, i just found out they're 2 inch ferrules and tri clamps. Anyone know where sells them cheap online?

Cheers!

I might know a fella that has a mate who's uncle would have some :teasing-neener:

PM me mate ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby JayD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Fatist wrote:wait, i just found out they're 2 inch ferrules and tri clamps. Anyone know where sells them cheap online?

Really great workmanship and design on the Bokakob OP, it looks great.

Cheers!

2" ferrules online Here you go... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby ozybottler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:51 am

My still is the same built my self works great
ozybottler

equipment: reflux still and pot still

Postby Scales82 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Mulla this is awesome build mate. Pretty much identical to what I have in mind for my own Boka.

Question for yourself (and anyone else) would this design be easily upgradable to a VM in the future? ie. having 2 liebigs hanging off it?
Scales82

equipment: 5L Pot,
25L CM Nixon
both from HBS (and being retired)
2" BOKA LM in constuction
VM addon and Pot also planned

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux Stills