A coil thought.

Reflux still design and discussion

A coil thought.

Postby zwagerman9 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:54 pm

So I was staring at my new bok thinking with the condenser and I thought to myself.

A single wound coil, put through an end cap, and then wound on the outside of a 2" the same length as the inner coil. So there is an inner coil wound, and an outer coil. kind of like Punkins precondensor on a potstill. :think:

Thoughts?

Kind of a hybrid Double helix...?
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Re: A coil thought.

Postby R-sole » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 am

It's another cooled surface. gotta help. Myles likes to play with jacketed bits there for the same reason.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby zwagerman9 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Well its an easy solution instead of stuffing up a double helix. But mind you it'd work well also with the double helix.
Next time I build a bok I'll give it a crack. lol

Rae
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby MozzMann » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 pm

A double helix is very easy to wind with a basic and I mean a basic understanding of copper tube,
I will post some images as soon as I take some but I made a jig for winding coils from 1" or 25 mm Gal Pipe.

With 3 cuts in one end you make 2 tube guides place the centre of your tube in the slot and wind away, this will lay both the descending and ascending coils on top of each other very neatly.

Oh I discovered by accident that mt TIG Welder will weld Copper in almost the same way as Stainless, and is excellent for producing very clean soldering with pure tin solder.
MozzMann

equipment: Small reflux and am building a larger unit with 8 columns 200 Lit Pot Capacity

Return to Reflux Stills