My 3" Stainless Combination Reflux/Pot Still LM/VM

Reflux still design and discussion

My 3" Stainless Combination Reflux/Pot Still LM/VM

Postby Ozzystiller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:16 am

Well here it is, my take on a 3" stainless VM.

I already have a 50l keg but I really have my heart set on getting a 50l or possibly 100l Stainless Milk Can Boiler for no other reason than they are stunning, and possibly cheaper than the combined cost of a 50l keg with a 200mm ferrule & 200mm x 75mm adaptor plus the other ferrules etc for element, drain & filler port. Not to mention the cost of fabrication.

The lower section of 75 x 500 column with removable perforated plate should make a nice gin basket.

I am also using the theory that a narrow 38mm into the horizontal condenser should provide a high take off rate during VM operation. I believe that all the trials and errors that have been conducted with the development of the VM and high take off rates have all given in and been ultimately restricted by the size or should I say the surface area of the output condenser, hence I am still toiling over the idea of a shotgun condenser to reduce restriction. Any flow of medium will take the line of least resistance. My hope is to have at best a 2:1 reflux ratio with valve wide open, of course I can't achieve this with a 20mm output condenser, but this should still provide a 3.6:1 ratio. Some may say the valve doesn't need to be 2" but the cost between 11/2 & 2" is negligible and this leaves me with room to move in design. Something I would love to experiment with would be to use a small dephlegmator just prior to the output condenser, a cool zone as lead in. I wish I had Punkins parts to play with.

Heating control will be via PID with PT100 sensor & and visual alarm with buzzer plus the option via switch to changeover to potentiometer adjustable SSR, with amp & volt meters.

Cooling water will be provided via a large 20l portable evaporative air conditioner, something I will experiment with, may need to add a storage tank.

I am currently having the shotgun condenser quoted, if the cost is high I will buy a TIG.

Anyway here is the detailed drawing, I am open to ideas and comments.

Here it is converted to a pot still
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozzystiller

equipment: Pot Still From Gas Hot Water Service With Worm Box

Re: My 3" Stainless Combination Reflux/Pot Still LM/VM

Postby Ozzystiller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 am

And i reckon i can see some bling with a cylindrical sight glass bubble plate as shown on the www.5stardistilling.com.au website
http://www.www.5stardistilling.com.au.com/2-product-shotgun.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozzystiller

Postby eminiM » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 am

Love your attention to detail!
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby Ozzystiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Well here we finally have pic, it has just been finished and is currently being boxed for freight. I changed the design somewhat from my original design, thats progress for ya. The main change was a 50mm x 650mm 7 core shotgun condensor. This is a LM/VM combo, able to break down to pot still or Gin head. The VM is 50mm with 50mm 12 position full stainless butterfly valve. LM is through a 3/8 9mm ported full stainless needle valve. The only parts that arn't stainless are the silicone seals, and the pvc covered handles on the ball valves Can't wait to get it. More pics will come when up and running. I just bought a Tig welder as i will build a custom stainless stand and bench with control panel.

I would like some comments, the next photo is a 100l boiler. In my opinion a much nicer boiler to look at but is going 50 to 100l overkill> I know it would look better sitting under the 3" column
1.jpg
Ozzystiller

Postby Ozzystiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 pm

fuck it just ordered the 100 Litre boiler, better to say "here it is" than "where is it?"
Ozzystiller

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Good luck with your new rig mate, make sure you keep your receipt ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Ooh! that's shiny :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Kimbo wrote:Ooh! that's shiny :handgestures-thumbupleft:

AtLeastForNowitIs :whistle:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Ozzystiller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:06 pm

I am having some trouble upgrading to the 100l, they claim they would have difficulty off loading the 50l. I am not sure anything special was done to the 50l other than having a ball valve tri clamped as opposed to a butterfly valve that from what i can tell from the original drawing was perhaps screwed to the boiler with some sort of gland type packing.
Oh shit i am a stubborn bastard once i get my mind set on something it is hard to change me. I am still trying to talk them into the swap, should i bother or just order both and offload the 50l here in Australia or just be happy and settle for the 50l?
Ozzystiller

Postby Ozzystiller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:08 pm

I will take delivery of both a 50l & 100l
Ozzystiller

Postby crow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

you may well find it handy to have both ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Ozzystiller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Yes thats what i am thinking too. I reckon the 50l will be great when pot stilling for whiskey or gin.
Ozzystiller

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 pm

I would use the big boiler for stripping runs, you won't want to do a spirit run in a VM on a 100L boiler :-B
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Ozzystiller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Yes your right McStill, that was the one reason i didn't order the 100l in the first place but having both sizes does give me a lot of flexibility.
Ozzystiller

Return to Reflux Stills