Refux still

Reflux still design and discussion

Refux still

Postby googe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:48 am

Hey all, im looking into building a reflux still and need some info.
Can the Dephlegmator be to long?.
Are all reflux stills run in the same manner?.
Some people run the colum straight out the top to the condensor and some have a tee and run the outlet below the dephlegmator, is there any reason for this or is it just personal choice?. Thanks for any help. Sorry if this annoys anyone but having issues with these ?'s.

Cheers
googe

Re: Refux still

Postby stilly_bugger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am

googe wrote:Hey all, im looking into building a reflux still and need some info.
Can the Dephlegmator be to long?.
Are all reflux stills run in the same manner?.
Some people run the colum straight out the top to the condensor and some have a tee and run the outlet below the dephlegmator, is there any reason for this or is it just personal choice?. Thanks for any help. Sorry if this annoys anyone but having issues with these ?'s.

Cheers

Googe, just to clarify, are you talking about regular reflux stills? I'm think you are, and by dephlegmator you mean reflux condenser.*

If you are indeed talking about reflux columns in general, then there are three main types:

• cooling management (CM)
  • liquid management (LM)
  • vapour management (VM)

How you put the column together will depend on the type of reflux still that you want to build. Each has its virtues.

CM was the standard a while back, then went out of fashion when LMs (bokas) rose to prominence. VM columns seem to have their devotees and have become a bit more popular of late. But then, especially here, CM has recently made a smashing comeback in the form of flutes/plated columns.

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby googe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks heaps stilly, your correct about the dephlegmator, i knew i'd read a good right up about the different ones!, thanks tons for the link. The idea ive had is a cross beetween the CM and VM :shock: :)) . I might just start with the CM for now to keep it simple till i get my head around it. To show how lost i am, i didnt know a plate still was a cm, i just thought it was some magical wonder still that only brainacs knew how to use or build :)) . Much appreiciated mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

Cheers
googe

Postby stilly_bugger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 pm

googe wrote:To show how lost i am, i didnt know a plate still was a cm, i just thought it was some magical wonder still that only brainacs knew how to use or build :)) .

They keep that on the downlow. :laughing-rolling: --> :violence-stickwhack: --> 8-}

How are you going to combo a CM and VM? What's the thinking behind it? Got any plans?
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby googe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 am

I was talking through my ass aparently when i said i think its a cm/vm :)) . I think its just a cm?, i promised myself no more pictures too :roll: . I put the valve in the pic before looking at that link you put up, but think it pointless?. I want the dephlegmator at least 3/4 the length of the colum. Anyway i know im waisting my time but there ya go ha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby googe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 am

Hey all, i want to build this on the weekend and need some feed back please. (refer pic) Are the coolant lines in the right spot and is that to many?. Not sure about the condensor yet, maybe 2' shotie. I want it for doing good neutral spirit. Thanks for any feed back. Btw im sick of drawing plans and just want to build something that will work!.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 pm

googe wrote: Btw im sick of drawing plans and just want to build something that will work!.

You seem to have drawn mainly a pot still with a bit of packing - and if you are trying to for a reflux still there's not near enough cooling - unless it's very tiny column :))

There's plenty of people out there who have already gone thru all the wacky and crazy designs and thus there's plenty of plans that will work. There's never been any need for you to do any drawings.
Build something tried and tested unless you have indepth background knowledge of still theory and practice.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby bt1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Hello googe,

Variation on a previous design you posted. +1 Ben...it has too little cooling, scrubbers are not in contact with cooling therefore will offer little reflux once at temp.

If you want a hybrid i mentioned my hybrid coil/pot to you some months back. it works. post details coil length and position issues.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks fella's, seems i fucked it up again!. Im very confused, the CM in this link http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13342 is about the same and the scrubbers arnt near the cooling?, mine has more cooling but your saying mine hasnt got enough?. Am i missing something or just fucking stupid!!!!!. Talk about frustrating!!.
googe

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm

That design is not very efficient googe, it's basically a pot still with a little reflux.... youd be very hard pressed getting above 90% with that.

Why not go for a boka, they're easy to build and a pretty good work horse.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks Mcstill, wish they'd say that with diagrams that there not a very good design. Im new and have no idea whats good and whats not, i was just about to go out and buy all the shit for that, lucky i didnt. I do want to build a boka but just dont feel confident with the operation of it. Should just grow some balls i guess :)) .
googe

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

I do want to build a boka but just dont feel confident with the operation of it.

They are one of the easiest stills to run mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby unsub » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 pm

If a dumb arse like me can operate a boka then I reckon anyone could. :-D
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby googe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 am

Dont know if i'd ever have enough brownie points for a decent needle valve. Didnt realize they were that easy to run, sounds dawnting when they talk about the take off ect ect, i dont really understand it, will just have to read more :roll: .
googe

Postby Kimbo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 pm

googe wrote:Dont know if i'd ever have enough brownie points for a decent needle valve.

Just remember, its easier to seek forgiveness than get permission ;-) And just remember the money your saving by making your own. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby bennybackyard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 pm

Kimbo wrote:
googe wrote:

Just remember, its easier to seek forgiveness than get permission ;-) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You are the Messiah :laughing-rolling: SO TRUE !
bennybackyard

equipment: 3" SS VM, 3"SS Pot - 50lt Electric Keg

Postby googe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 am

Mines the oppisit kimbo :laughing-rolling: . All good though, ive got some cheapish opptions now . Ive been readin alot about boka and the penny droped a bit last night, was over thinking as usual :roll: . One thing i have trouble understanding though is, why isnt there smearing in the takeoff point?. Is it because of fores, heads, hearts, tails being realised at certain temps and thats why it doesnt smear?.
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:23 am

most if not all stills will smear mate, hence the need to do cuts ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Thankz, over thinking :roll: .
googe

Return to Reflux Stills