My project

Reflux still design and discussion

My project

Postby googe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Hey all, i've started playing with my project ive wanted to try for ever. Plus doing a normal boka. This one is 1 1/4 inch colum with 1 1/2 inch condensor housing. Inside, about 100mm from the dif size pipe joins is a 1 1/4 inch to 1/2 reducer with a piece of 1/2 inch pipe around 50mm long, not soldered. The outlet is at the base of the 1 1/4 reducer. The idea is the inside reducer will act as a collection point, with reflux passing through the non soldered area around it. There will be alot of trial and error, if the reflux doesnt pass through anough i will try small holes drilled through the reducer steam or 1/2 inch pipe. See what happens i guess. The valve is a argo gas valve i had laying around, seems to be quite precise. Please ignor the half assed soldering, my god its hard to get copper to take solder when its face to face with no sholder!!. Let me know if you have any ideas or if im mental or if you have no idea what the hell im talking about :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Re: My project

Postby MacStill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:22 pm

What made you go with the makita lawn mower?

I nearly bought one of them :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Dont worry your pretty little head about my mower, its a $250 bunning job btw :teasing-tease: Now back to my project :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:17 pm

I must say Googe, your definitely a thinker. And that is a good thing.
Keep it up mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby emptyglass » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 am

googe wrote: Let me know if you have any ideas or if im mental or if you have no idea what the hell im talking about :laughing-rolling:

Umm, sort of the latter.

more information? Why the flowmeter, just for the needle valve control? Is this a nixon-stone type set up? Where are the holes, etc?

Still, looks like your up to something here....
emptyglass

Postby mullamulla » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am

I've been trying to wrap my feeble mind around it, I take it there is a condenser on top?..... :think:
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby googe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks kimbo, its only good if i accomplish something though :)) . haha empty and mulla, i was confused as hell trying to type it!, i really really dont want to put more drawings up but seems its the only way i can explain 8-} . Yep flowmetre is the valve, had it laying around and thought if its precise enough for gas its gota be for spirit, will se i guess. Never heard of the nixon stone, had a look, pretty cool. Hope this helps mulla lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:08 pm

should work just fine, just wondering what condenser design did you go with
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks mate, Ive made a cold finger so far but am going to do some improvements and see what happens lol.
googe

Postby bt1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 am

Made a quad coil cold finger once with 3/4" inner tube so i could get all 4 pesty 1/4" braized into it.

same as for my hybrids..SS scrubbies loosely pulled through the gaps in coil layers and down the centre and then wrapped loosely to column width = total take up of col diameter...it's a nice one.

Suit 3- 4" col width. Bloody killer for coolant flow pity I've never made anything that needs shit loads of knock down it would suit....but i do have plans...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 am

Sounds good but fiddly bt1 lol.
googe

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Gave this a run today :D yes im happy lol. First off I stripped a TPW in my pot still down to 30%, turned it off and chucked "fugly" on the keg. Let it do a bit of refluxing for 10 mins or so, could hear it bubbling through the reducer. Started taking some 100ml lots, started off at 65% and after 3-4 shots it went between 65% and 50%. Dont really know if thats any good from a wash that was stripped to 30% previously??. The taste and smell was 1000 times better than the stripped stuff. The valve seemed to work very well, but then again ive never done this so dont really know. The condensor is to ineficent i think, it was only a single 2 inch cold finger, i tried to build an outer condensing tube on the outside of the colum around were the inner one is but the soldering didnt work and had to scap that idea. It was surging most of the way through the run, wooosshhhh woooosshhh wooosshh, like being under pressure then realising it kind of sound. I didnt think this thing would work but it did and i reckon with some bigger pipe and some trial and error it could produce some good shit :). Ok, let the firing squad begin :)) comments?.

Cheers
googe

Postby crow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:02 pm

yeah bud that ABV does sound fairly low for a second run they sound similar to the start my strip run percentage
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Second run?, what you mean?.
googe

Postby crow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm

googe wrote: Dont really know if thats any good from a wash that was stripped to 30% previously??.

:whistle:
crow

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Are you presuming i did a spirit run?. I said i striped it to 30%, put the other colum on and kept running from the dunder that was left.
googe

Postby crow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Ah ha I see you just did the tails with it :handgestures-thumbupleft: got ya would be pretty hard to say what would be a good performance as that would depend on exactly where you were up to in ya wash ;-)
crow

My project

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Try it from the start of a run not from the tails an you will prob see a big difference
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 pm

yeah, no worries thanks.
googe

Postby googe » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Did a run today using a TPW low wines at 40%, best I got was around 93% :dance: . No packing in the colum. I found that running it harder heat wise it produced higher %. Maybe that's to do with not enough refluxing at lower temps?. Was a good learning curve, heat up heat down, valve open wider valve closed a bit, was good fun. The end product is like nothing I've tasted before, smooth clear and yum!.
googe

Next

Return to Reflux Stills