My LM/VM has peepers

Reflux still design and discussion

My LM/VM has peepers

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Thought I might show you my still .This is my first attempt.I originally was going to build one of those valved offset types that I found a link to on Tony Acklands Home Distiller.Some 1 1/4" ,1 1/2" and 2" came my way so I bought the 2x 2" Tees while I pondered the piece of 3" for the reflux condenser shell.

During this time I discovered HD had a forum :laughing-rolling: and after much reading realized that that design was shit .
Stuck with two expensive ( well they did come from Reeces) Tees I come up
Stillin Pics 0037 rotated.jpg
with this plan after seeing that the "flute" ( just stuck that in for a stir up) guys were having so much fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: My LM/VM has peepers

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 pm

First off I was going to use my Still spirits Boiler so my first copper experience was to bash out a large flange that would fit onto the SS lid and then an easy flange to attach the colonm or using an adapter section,my old Still spirits reflux head.LOL since having this head haven't used to Still Spirits one. :))

This was easier than I had expected but I did use about half a MAPP bottle annealing it periodically.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Postby MR-E » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Very nice, some great thinking on the boiler connection :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:55 pm

You might have noticed the Tri- clamps.Ever tried to buy a Tri-clamp in Coffs Harbour :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: "a what???"

So I made one out of desperation just to get the fucker up and running.
Made out of some annealed 1/2" split and bashed around a peace of steel the right shape.Bent the ends back and brazed.
Rough as guts but works when you don't have one.
Stillin Pics 009.jpg
Stillin Pics 008.jpg
Yummyrum

Postby stilltryin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:00 pm

You did a real top job on your connectors...i really like how you made the clamps :handgestures-thumbupleft:

your a :ugeek: with the copper work :handgestures-thumbupleft: :smile:
stilltryin

equipment: at the moment...only a beer keg..lol!

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 pm

That's an awesome looking rig Yummyrum :clap: :clap: :happy-partydance:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

My LM/VM has peepers

Postby Rumdrinker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Nice work with the clamps, that's thinking outside the square to get the job done. I like your sight glass install too, nice to be able to see what's going on
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Next I had ago at the coil.This was the bit that everyone seems to fear the most.Don't have any pics of making it but I found the first layer on a 16mm curtain rail that was lying around .I used the side by side method of winding a peace of wire next to the copper so you get an even spacing .I used TV coax cause I have a lot of that lying around :D Then a used some 32mm conduit as a former for the second layer and back I went.No salt .No freezing .just worked .Reeces annealed 1/4" :))
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Hey thanks guys for the comments.Sometimes you make things and no-one seems to care .They just wonder why the chores are behind :smile:

The top collection is a dam made from a peace of 1 1/4".I brazed two external 3/8" one higher than the other.I was originally going to have a play with RLM but that didn't happen.So the lower one is for LM take off for heads and the upper feeds the external reflux downcomer to the lower Tee.

The reflux tube has a cap made from a peace of 3/4" tube that I had made bashing it on the end of a broom handle to se just how much you could "BASH COPPER" :)) When I brazed the very end closed it formed a nice little Nipple which the reflux pours off nicely into the middle of the packing.
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Stillin Pics 025.jpg
Stillin Pics 023.jpg
Looking into the holes with the glasses not in yet.
I made a "Chinese hat" to cover the pipe inside the upper collection plate.I am not happy with it.It needs to be larger or the pipe below it smaller diameter as There is still a lot of splashing straight down the guts. I can see it running down the sides of the lower Tee.The good thing about brazing the small bits first is that they don't fall apart when you solder up all the big bits .The bad side is you can't easily fix a fuckup

That's the beauty of being able to see inside.Knowing whats wrong and being fucked to do anything about it ,that's another thing :violin:
Yummyrum

Postby googe » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Thats some nice work there mate!!. ^:)^ . Are you a tradsman ? I hope your planing on more building, will be watching in awe!. Thats a nice looking still mate.
googe

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 pm

The peepers were made from a brass 2" screw on end cap and a brass 2" nipple.
I got a bit of 2" copper and brazed it to a flat copper washer made from a piece of flattened out (annealed first) pipe.then I cut the end off the end cap and soldered it the the copper washer.This is so there is only copper in contact with the alcohol. I sliced about 1/4" off the end of the nipple and used it to screw inside .I used a piece of cardboard for a gasket on the glass.I used unbleached grey stuff that was on the back of a note pad .No MDS sheets but it felt OK :think: The glass is just normal old window glass.Roughed it out with a glass cutter and finished up on the bench grinder.Can't remember which side of the grinder was best but one shat over the other.

So far I haven't even soldered to glass fitting to the Tees.Its just sealed with a few raps of teflon tape and I have no leaks .Fucking amazing .But Must fix ;-)
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Stillin Pics 021.jpg
Stillin Pics 018.jpg
Stillin Pics 017.jpg
Thanks googe .Yeah I'm a trade e ( is that how you spell it ?) But I'm not a plumber or a machinist. My dad was a Watchmaker and my Grandad was a plumber and my uncle a mechanic so I guess I must have picked up some skills. Just reckon you got a think about shit and Spent lots of time looking at AD to get Ideas and tips of you guys :happy-partydance:

:text-thankyoublue:

Heres how I made my condenser.
Its 5 x 3/8" in a 1 1/2" shell .I twisted it cause I read someone on HD said it might add more turbulence.Don't know if it makes any difference but it works well anyway. I brazed up the pipes ,end plates and shell with map but it was a challenge.I first tried with it standing up right but it just wouldn't heat up enough.Then I tried it laying on its side and it worked a treat.I think the flame went through the tube rather than flaring back out like it did upright.
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 pm

My first easy flanges worked fine .the more I tried,the worse they got .so when it came to the colunm flange I thought I would braze on some copper washers and build up the taper with solder.
Brazing with MAPP on the end of a meter of 2 " is fucked .Wasted nearly a bottle .Just sucks the heat .

So I ended up making smaller copper Ferrels and soldering them on with couplings.By the way Reeces charged me I think $16 for a 2" copper coupling.Then Discovered Tradelink :romance-kisscheek: Around $3 a coupling .Admittedly Reeces was more robust but hey :crying-blue:
Yummyrum

Postby JayD » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Nice build... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 pm

And finally all wrapped up and making the shit :D
Sorry the place is a bit of a mess

I put a load of Heads and tales from my last years Rum season through it last week.Damn that tastes good .I was surprised how much hearts come out .To think I was going to ditch it .

Almost thinking I might prefer this white stuff to my usual Rum.

Problem is I got this piece of 4" a few months ago and I've been buying bits and pieces to make a Bubbler.
Yummyrum

Postby crow » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:49 am

seen a lot of things ,never seen anyone make their own triclamp :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Nice work work dude
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby 620rossco » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:04 am

Unreal build bloke. Well done.
Nice to see another Coffs local here.
Bubbler build would be interesting.

Rossco
620rossco

equipment: 3"pot 2"double bok 3"LM/VM.

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:15 am

now thats some skill :handgestures-thumbupleft: nice rig mate
kelbygreen