3 inch condensor controlled still

Reflux still design and discussion

3 inch condensor controlled still

Postby reknaw » Wed May 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Well I admit I am a slack arse and it takes me ages to get stuff finished..........

Fitted and ready to weld, three inch column, two and a half inch condensor arm (condensor will be a coldfinger)

I had a bit of copper there so I got arty for the offtake, 30 seconds and it has a pigs tail :ugeek:

No comments on the dressing gown please (seriously no comments on the dressing gown 8-) )

It's been welded up and I'll post a pic of it tomorrow night. Really looking forward to running it, it just fits under the house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Re: 3 inch condensor controlled still

Postby reknaw » Wed May 25, 2011 10:43 pm

For comparison, my two inch column with the new three inch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Postby Frank » Fri May 27, 2011 11:25 am

How about some comments on your laundry then? :lol: Looks great Spud1700. What do you reckon it will do re improving run time (and maybe end product?) over the 2' inch?
Frank

Postby reknaw » Fri May 27, 2011 11:44 am

Hey Frank,

it'll still come out at 95 but it will be a hell of a lot quicker :) Next time your up this way we'll run it ;)
reknaw

Postby Brigand » Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Looking good

What are the heights of those two?

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby Frank » Fri May 27, 2011 2:25 pm

Spud1700 wrote:it'll still come out at 95 but it will be a hell of a lot quicker :)

You really can be so technically specific SPUD700 :lol: If it comes out at a faster rate then perhaps you really should consider an 'overflow catchall' like Heffers suggested(?) Dont want to be losing precious hearts whilst attention is diverted by, for example, small children or 'blow in' visitors ;)
Frank

Postby reknaw » Fri May 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I used to do the 50mm column in 1500mm then went to 1000mm with no difference in ABV both pull 95% so the smaler column save on tube and is easier to use - fits under the house easily and is easier to store \ handle.

The 75mm column is 1500mm (probably could have gone a little shorter to say 1300mm but want to be 100% positive I get 95%) .

Heffers suggestion was a good one Frank, I'll be running with a bowl under the collection bottel in the future ;) Lucky you and Heffers were watching the bottle for me :lol:

I've got two of the 50mm columns under the house and another one cut up and ready to weld, I think anything 50 mm is going into retirement after I run the 3 inch :oops:
reknaw

Postby rumby » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Spud, looks awesome.

What speed is ir running at, my 2'' colum you made for me, takes approx 1hr 25m to take off and approximately one 1hr per litre of 95%. How much quicky is the 3'.
Like you set down stairs, it almost likes like my place. My missus, is impressed about me recyling all the water. I run the still and do all the weeky washing at once, who said blokes cant multi-task.

Is the piggy tail, cooling the liquid down much?
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby reknaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm up in Townsville, need to make the coil yet when I get back, I am thinking it should do three litres and hour....

The piggy tail won't do much as far as cooling goes, I just had that bit of copper there and it was to short to make a coil out of, the PVC pipe for the 2 1/2 coils was sitting there and.......... :lol:
reknaw

Postby maheel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Spud1700 wrote:I'm up in Townsville,

you walked up castle hill yet?
maheel

Postby reknaw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:22 am

I am staying in the city center (if you can call it that) and see it on the way to work and in the afternoon and there is no way I am walking up that fucker :lol: The esplinade is nice for a walk in the afternoon :lol:
reknaw

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Ok did the coil, turned out bloody great :D first time I have done a coldinger. More work but really enjoyed making it, anyway a few picks.

It is about 14 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide, 25 mm down the centre and it weighs a ton I think I may have gone a bit overboard but it's better to have it to big than to small. Next one I do I might make it a bit smaller. I was thinking about movement of the cetre pipe and was going to get some copper wire and "tie it into place" then I thought of just packing a scrubber around it to hold it centre.
Last edited by reknaw on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added comment on scrubber
reknaw

Postby Heffers » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm pretty sure that's what they're using for cooling rods in nuclear reactors Spud :shock: . Flash as mate, good work.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby rumby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Spud,

Looks impressive.

How lomg until you fire it up. Really interested to hear on the total run time. ( I can only clean up under the house some many times, n would love to cut my running time down.)
rumby

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks fellas, looking at the three inch I think to myself it's a LOT bigger than the two inch then I think McStill's is 4 inch which is kind of crazy :shock:

I would like to see a photo of a home brew shop still beside a 2 inch, a three inc, a four inch and a plate still.

Can't wait to run it, anyone want to come over this Sat arvo?

Rumby - sorry missed the last part of your post, I think 5Star gets three - four litres an hour off his (different design but still three inch column) so I will be happy with three litres an hour. I have checked with the wifey and I can run it Sat. I am going to make another coldfinger on Sat, same size as the pic (might make the spacing between the coils bigger though). I'm thinking about putting a three inch on ebay depending on how the other one goes.

The biggest thing for me with three inch is the saving time 8-)
reknaw

Postby rumby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:11 am

Chris,

How much are you thinking of selling the 3 inch for, I wonder if I tried to sell my 2 inch on ebay (or through your ebay listing, what ever you think would be better for your sales) and buy a 3 inch off you, pending how it goes after you run it.
rumby

Postby reknaw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I'll give you a ring.....
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Spud1700 wrote:I'll give you a ring.....

Good move,

I'd like to keep price negotiations off the forum.

Thanks ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby rumby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:43 pm

sorry guys.
rumby

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 pm

rumby wrote:sorry guys.

No dramas dude, it's not a rule as such..... more just a courtesy to the guy with the still, and this isnt really a classifieds section :)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Reflux Stills