SS T 500 Stills

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: SS T 500 Stills

Postby WTDist » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Marbled wrote:Has anyone used the stainless saddles yet and found any comparable difference to the ceramics?

Mine's packed and ready to go.... Now for the wash to ferment out.......

Im eager to try something else. I cant seem to clean a crap wine taste out of mine. i had a double distilled and double cut TPW and WBABW that came out with a hint of TPW wine taste after the second distil run. Going to do a bicarb and vinegar clean, rinse and then boil in vinegar again with a rinse and see if that helps.

I thought that all we aim to achieve is surface area with packing, am i wrong? Once i finish my T500 mod i will use different packing that the ceramics so im on the look out for something good. Let us know how you go i might end up with them too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby N95Girl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:18 pm

I ran my wash through the copper condenser and it turned out pretty good for my first go. My condenser is full of stainless steale saddles but I don't know the difference between the ceramic sorry guys. I do understand what everyone is talking about with the turbo wash though. Rocket fuel lol. I am infusing some lemon peel and fresh coconuts I got off the beach. The Irish cream is ok. I used the still spirits with base for me and the Edwards with a uht Liddell lactose free cream for the mrs. She loved it as first time she could drink it being allergic to dairy. Truthfully, I prefer the Edwards one with the lactose free cream.

Anyway, my next wash will be the tomato paste wash.
N95Girl

equipment: T500 Copper

Postby Rowey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 pm

You will never go back to turbo yeast after trying TPW!! It should be illegal to sell turbo yeast!! TPW smells so much better brewing too (Starts off smelling like bread is cooking) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Postby WTDist » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 am

I thought it had a wine smell when fermenting. i found it made my saddles impart this flavour also as i have distilled after. I couldn't clean my saddles but i soaked them in vinegar and bicarb then boiled them for aegis in vinegar yesterday and then boiled in water twice. Ill see how they turned out tonight hopefully if the still lets me (if it still isnt leaking). :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Berserker_75 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Just got my t500 yesterday, I've only done one wash through it so far but everything ran perfectly. Got a 93% steady output and I can't fault the taste at all. So far I'm very happy with it
Berserker_75

equipment: Home made 7.5L pot still 2.5m half inch copper condenser coil.

T-500 reflux still

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Did you do cuts on your run yesterday? :think:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills